Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Looking for a 34' hat

I see that I have the right forum. All of you have provided me with great input. I think I will have to expand the search and include the 36c which was suggested and have started researching diesel engines and how to maintain them.
    I have noticed that here is a 36c gas in NJ on craigslist along with another 38 gas hat in Bayshore LI plus another 36 c which is a diesel in Hampton bays. Does anyone know these boats ?

My friend in Va had the 36c. Named PELICAN. Slow but brought up fish. I had the gas 41c, and used to follow him to the Norfolk canyon. That boat was sweet, and knocked the waves down for me. Very proud bow and rode that way. Looked like a scaled down 45 or 55.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Tim

I currently own a 66'. Great boat and yes the tanks were replace due to ethanol. Actually damaged my starboard motor and had it rebuilt. Twin 350s I cruise around 18MPH at 2900 RPMs. Plenty of cockpit space. The replacement of the tanks and deck weren't bad just tedious work. Awesome boat and fits my needs even if it is a gasser.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    From the listing.

This great classic would make someone a great bay boat. She is hull number four. First boat to be layed up with fiberglass. Needs a little work on the interior.
    Used to own a 41' Rhodes Bounty 1961. Hull #53. Started production in 1959. Solid fiberglass.

Be patient, a nice 34 or 36 will pop up. Just make sure you have cash and ready to jump when it does, because they sell fast. Keep eye on craigslist, too. The smaller boats often don't make it to yachtworld.

I looked at and considered 34/36, but they just weren't big enough. A 41c is much more useful with 2 staterooms and full head/shower. From what I can tell, the fuel burn really isn't that much more and maintenance wont be any more either. I figured all the overhead of maintaining a boat, engines, cleaning, etc, may as well move up a tiny bit to a 41.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

As Krush stated, the 41 is not that much larger with twice the amenities. I had one for 22 years. Had Chrysler gas engines originally. Upgraded to Chevy engines, then finally Cat conversion. Also painted it 2 times. I really miss that boat.

Be open minded when these old girls come on the market, and I agree with having cash at the ready. It really talks. An older dated boat for a steal is not really that bad. Gives you quite a blank canvas to end up with the boat you want. Of course the forum here will help, and have you in the perfect one.

Have a blessed week,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    As Krush stated, the 41 is not that much larger with twice the amenities. I had one for 22 years. Had Chrysler gas engines originally. Upgraded to Chevy engines, then finally Cat conversion. Also painted it 2 times. I really miss that boat.

Be open minded when these old girls come on the market, and I agree with having cash at the ready. It really talks. An older dated boat for a steal is not really that bad. Gives you quite a blank canvas to end up with the boat you want. Of course the forum here will help, and have you in the perfect one.

Have a blessed week,
    Tim
    Indeed. Know (knew?) of a 60's 41c in Lauderdale that fits the bill. Cash could buy her cheaply, and what is really needed is an interior makeover. That's the easy lift. Terrific boat, terrific series...

This is my old 41 after I rolled and tipped her, new top and bow rail, and the 3126 cat conversion.
    Hated to sell her. I thing she is for sale. I will try to find out.

old photos 781.jpg

Tim

The only issue I have with anything over 36 is where I can keep her. Many of the yards near me, Long Island NY do not have large slips available. I like what I see in the 41's and I definitely will keep an open mind.
    I would be a cash buyer and the interior work would not worry me as long as the mechanical s are on the money I would be interested. Since it appears I would have to travel to get something does anyone know of a transporter to get it up north ?

I drove mine from Norfolk Va. to South of Daytona Beach in Fla. All the way down the ditch. Winter time, too nasty off Shore. One of the best experiences of my life. Dreaded doing it until on my way. Do it again in a heart beat. Call Randy, (Freebird). He can do it on one engine, and one hand tied behind his back. Hell, I will go with him.

Have a great weekend,
    Tim