Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Looking for a 34' hat

Hello folks I am new to this forum and I am looking to get back into boating. Had small 20' Grady's and a 25 " chris craft with a single screw. I am now looking for a 34 60's vintage Hat conv or sport
    with gas engines since I know absolutely zero about diesels.
    I am not into speed and would be cruising at the 12-15 knot range. I have heard these boats are super stable and can handle lousy weather. I am in the Long island area. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Looking for a 34' hat

Quote Originally Posted by bill_the_hopeful_boater View Post
    Hello folks I am new to this forum and I am looking to get back into boating. Had small 20' Grady's and a 25 " chris craft with a single screw. I am now looking for a 34 60's vintage Hat conv or sport
    with gas engines since I know absolutely zero about diesels.
    I am not into speed and would be cruising at the 12-15 knot range. I have heard these boats are super stable and can handle lousy weather. I am in the Long island area. Any help would be much appreciated.
    click here

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1964...s#.WYJNaesXA2x

From the listing.

This great classic would make someone a great bay boat. She is hull number four. First boat to be layed up with fiberglass. Needs a little work on the interior.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

What were hulls 1, 2 and 3 laid up in? Paper Mache'? <puzzled look>
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Just a suggestion.

Look at the 36c series 1 also

And diesels are not a bad thing to have if their the right ones.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Diesels for sure.....especially on an early boat. Even though no ethanal fuel may be available, I would be concerned about the possibility that it may not be available when traveling to different areas. If it's a gas boat, I would either change out the fuel tanks or repower with diesel. Changing out the fuel tanks will be much cheaper.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    What were hulls 1, 2 and 3 laid up in? Paper Mache'? <puzzled look>
    Is paper Mache water proof?

LOL
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    From the listing.

This great classic would make someone a great bay boat. She is hull number four. First boat to be layed up with fiberglass. Needs a little work on the interior.
    Are you sure ? I don't know my hull # but I have a 1963 and it's fiberglass and I have seen another one same year.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    From the listing.

Used to own a 41' Rhodes Bounty 1961. Hull #53. Started production in 1959. Solid fiberglass.

Be patient, a nice 34 or 36 will pop up. Just make sure you have cash and ready to jump when it does, because they sell fast. Keep eye on craigslist, too. The smaller boats often don't make it to yachtworld.

I looked at and considered 34/36, but they just weren't big enough. A 41c is much more useful with 2 staterooms and full head/shower. From what I can tell, the fuel burn really isn't that much more and maintenance wont be any more either. I figured all the overhead of maintaining a boat, engines, cleaning, etc, may as well move up a tiny bit to a 41.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381