Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: An interesting 53 Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Where was the 70 that you looked at? There is a 70 cockpit in San Diego that is nice and can be bought for a lot less than asking. If you are interested PM me I have been aboard it. John
    Which 70 are you talking about?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Well, wait until Pascal's done and maybe he'll share with you what it cost him.

Someone just reported paying $450 for an oil change on his motorhome...... I guess if you're looking to pay top dollar it's out there.

250K for a pair of engines? C'mon..... really?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Look at a pair of new c18 cats with transmissions, shafts, controls and all accessories.

That's what's in most current 50+ footers today.

Even c12 or qsm11 packages will be close to that.

I'm not comparing reman or smaller engines as a comparison to today's boats offered in this class. Hatts 54c and 60 my both come with c18s as the standard.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Which 70 are you talking about?
    pretty sure hes talking about "Raya" Its come up before on this forum

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989...s#.WiVLo0qnGM8

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    I bet I can restore a 53 for a lot less than that.
    It depends how you do it and how you define restoration/refit Some people will spend $75 k doing mostly cosmetics and electronics, uograde the heads and call it a refit even though it has tired engines, old wiring and systems. At the other end, you can indeed spend $1M to fully rebuild a 53 with electronic engines and all new eveything if you pay $100 an hour labor...

The key to me is to find the right contractors and spend the right money where it gets you the best bang for the buck. I dont mean beeing cheap and use home depot electricals... for instance repowering with factory reman C series will get me 90% of the benefits for 50% of the costs of new larger electronic diesels. Compared to rebuilding the DDs, i ll get twice the value and benefits for 30% extra cost. Thats what i call best bang for the buck. It s finding the right balance.

Electronics are where so many new owners waste so much money, installing systems with features and capabilities they will never use. i see all the time on boats i run, or neighbors and friends. Spending $50k of electronics on a 50/60 footer, whether an old hatt or a new chlorox bottle is pretty much lipstick on a pig.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Just curious, are you doing new electronics on your boat, and what brand are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Someone just reported paying $450 for an oil change on his motorhome...... I guess if you're looking to pay top dollar it's out there.

250K for a pair of engines? C'mon..... really?
    Consider....you're increasing HP, shaft sizing, bearings, wheels, engine mounting, fuel lines, gears, and then instrumentation and controls to coordinate with ECM's. A lot goes into the refit. I doubt I get to $250k, but there is a lot more involved than merely swapping chunks of steel.

It will be done last so I haven't decided yet. Most likely Garmin though. That's the easy part
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Spending $50k of electronics on a 50/60 footer, whether an old hatt or a new chlorox bottle is pretty much lipstick on a pig.
    No need to anymore with modern stuff. 10-15k will get an amazing system with multiple station capibility. Furuno TZtouch 2 is pretty amazing value. 12inch screen is fine. Figure 2500 each screen, 2200 autopilot, radar (2500 dome, 5,000 open), $1500 for various antennas and wiring, 500-300 for sounder transducers (depending on need) and you got a sweet system (wifi capable with tablet access)
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381