Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: An interesting 53 Classic

Where was the 70 that you looked at? There is a 70 cockpit in San Diego that is nice and can be bought for a lot less than asking. If you are interested PM me I have been aboard it. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Friends of mine just looked at that 53 in Marina Del Rey and said that it is even better in person than in the photos. Owner is super rich and does maintenance on things that don't even need doing. He turned down an offer for $285,000, countered with $ 330,000. I guess it has really bad blisters that have not been fixed yet. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Hard to believe but there is a deal pending on this boat, would like to know how much. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Hard to believe but there is a deal pending on this boat, would like to know how much. John
    If it's a one of a kind anything....someone, somewhere... will pay....

Emotion can sometimes cause us to do what we otherwise would not.
    Last edited by dcate; 12-02-2017 at 02:49 AM.

I know I have. Really, really upsets the wife. (That is half the fun)Enjoy your Saturday. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    It is beautiful but DAMN. I wish them well, it just increased the price of ours John.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Glad to hear she has a deal pending...hopefully for a price that truly reflects the pride of her ownership. If blisters are the only issue, there really isn't an issue in this particular case...not if the rest of the boat is that truly pristine. EVERY CASE IS DIFFERENT. An older boats value is directly linked to it's actual condition. Physical and Cosmetic. To say the nicest 53 in the world is only worth $250,000 is ludicrous. As new boat prices have risen faster than prescription drugs, the whole market has changed in the past 5 years regarding the "nicest boat out there", (which is where the real "value" is). Back in 2013, I sold the most exceptional all original under cover since new 900 hour 58 Yacht Fish in existence for $260,000. While it was a huge loss to my total investment, it still tied the highest price paid for a vintage Hatteras 53 or 58 at the time. I would consider that same boat in the same condition today would easily be a 'steal' at $300,000 in the current market... VS a nasty example that needs $1Million plus to restore... VS a comparable new boat that's hovering well above the $3Million mark today...VS a newer non Hatteras for under $500,000.

I just went through this adventure with friend of mine who is a marina owner in addition to being a knowledgeable boat owner. We looked at 34 different boats from Florida to Minnesota. Only 2 were in a 'condition' worth buying by our standards. I just got back from helping bring the nicest boat home. 2600 miles from Chicago to Florida (the long way). She preformed flawlessly. Until you actually go aboard a hundred different boats, can you really make a comparison?

Paul, what boat did your friend purchase? Sounds like a fabulous trip.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    VS a nasty example that needs $1Million plus to restore...
    I bet I can restore a 53 for a lot less than that.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

It's easy to spend a mil on a real update and modernization.

I'd bet a set of engines and such will run $250k with gears and controls and shafts and props....

Add to that the interior work as these old boats need modernizing. Paint and electronics at today's current levels and your easily there.

I just did an electronics upgrade for almost $50k. If he would have put an hd dish on her the cost would have been closer to $75k.

Add a new david and modern stabilizers and your almost at another 6 figures.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.