Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1993 54C Question

One pulled into the marina a couple of days ago. The exhaust pipes exit on the sides. Generally speaking, how high are the pipes relative the waterline? The boat came in with DDEC problems; the owners flew out just after docking. I was struck at the pipes being a good 8" or so above the water. Don't know their fuel state or how much a 54C might squat. No biggie, just wondering from those knowledgeable on that model.

Thanks
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: 1993 54C Question

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    One pulled into the marina a couple of days ago. The exhaust pipes exit on the sides. Generally speaking, how high are the pipes relative the waterline? The boat came in with DDEC problems; the owners flew out just after docking. I was struck at the pipes being a good 8" or so above the water. Don't know their fuel state or how much a 54C might squat. No biggie, just wondering from those knowledgeable on that model.

Thanks
    Robert can not tell you about the 54 but my 52 loaded with water and fuel the botton of the exaust is about 1 to 1,5 inches off the H2O empty about 6 inches off the water about a 5 inch raise...

Interesting. This one is riding really high. Owners stated DDEC computer shutdown both 1292s 49 miles offshore where they anchored for 20 hours waiting for tow. Owners stating DDEC giving low voltage indications. Batteries replaced but still having low volts indicated. Sure is riding high to have been 50 miles offshore on trip from S FL to VA. But they came in with generator running so that says they didn't get all that low.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Wife's jewelry must not be on board. That's why it's riding high. Well at least that's the way it is in my boat. LOL
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Another DDEC story. Does anyone know what DDEC actually stands for? As in FIAT meaning "fix it again, Tony"...

Dead diesel electronic controls.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

7. Re: 1993 54C Question

There are tens of thousands of Detroit Diesel 2 cycle engines, Series 50 and 60 DD engines and MTU 2000 series engines running DDEC without trouble. I personnaly like them. Except for the V24-71 engines. Now those DDEC controls were a bitch to work on.

And the DDEC strikes again.

She's definitely light. I've looked at several 54C with 12V92s and 3412s. The exhaust will be half submerged when loaded. DDEC controls are pretty good depending on what version. They're still being used on the new MTUs which are the hottest engine in the big boat market.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    She's definitely light. I've looked at several 54C with 12V92s and 3412s. The exhaust will be half submerged when loaded. DDEC controls are pretty good depending on what version. They're still being used on the new MTUs which are the hottest engine in the big boat market.
    Thanks, that what I thought on the riding high. The chine is right at the waterline at the stern. I don't have a 54; I'm nothing like that running close to the bottom on fuel in my 55. I'll look forward to asking when the owners make it back. They were talking about flying their mechanic up from Ft. Lauderdale. There ought to be a good DDEC guy in Charleston, just no one can come up with a name.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC