Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Center Console goes down by an oil rig

These were posted on THT, figured I'd share here.

If you came back to the boat and found it full of water what would you do?

https://www.facebook.com/11300634303...4423170915739/

https://www.facebook.com/11300634303...4425357582187/

Re: Center Console goes down by an oil rig

I sure as f- wouldn't try to climb in by the stern. Also, having a mask and fins on like this guy I'd probably try to get underneath and see if I could pin down where the water is coming in.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I sure as f- wouldn't try to climb in by the stern. Also, having a mask and fins on like this guy I'd probably try to get underneath and see if I could pin down where the water is coming in.
    I posed the question to my brother and stepson as to what they would do in that situation. I think my actions would be as below (at least I hope they would). You never really know how you are going to react in a situation like that though....

1. Life jackets on and everybody to bow plb in hand
    2. Mayday to coastguard relay position, number of people, vessel description...etc.
    3. Crank Engines and get moving forward
    4. 1 person comes back to bail water
    5. 1 person starts looking for the source of the water
    6. Do NOT leave the rig, stay close by and in vhf contact with them
    7. Hope to get the water cleared and the leak stopped
    8. Go back fishing, or go home if the leak stop was not permanent.

Anybody else have anything else to add to my list? anything I missed or should be done differently?

I know this is all hypothetical, but I think it is a good mental exercise for everyone to go through.

Is it safe to get in the water in a boat with batteries, generator and other electrical components submerged?

This happens more than you think with CC boats. Too many idiots in the back of the boat wave washes over transom loses stability and ends up up side down
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

It seems fairly obvious to me that a CC with an outboard mounted on a cut down transom is an invitation for waves to come aboard, however I think most have scuppers to allow the water to exit. It's possible that the scuppers were blocked....hard to tell but it sure is a scary situation none the less.

Walt