Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bugs !!!!!

Re: bugs !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Robert, A good snake repellent around your home/property is Rotenone dust. Years ago we used it on several jobs for that purpose. It should be available cheap at most garden shops as well as HD or Lowes. Safe, cheap, effective and easy to use.

Walt
    Thanks, I'll look into that as long as it doesn't smell like mothballs.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I live in San Diego so be patient with me- what are bugs?
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Dave, I thought bugs were some sort of evesdropping devices. My daughter and her family live in San Diego and they occasionally have issues with ants.........so there. San Diego is a great place to live. If I lived there I would like to have the weather forecaster job.....you record the forecast twice a year and just replay it daily.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
    I don't like spray killers, so I use the Terro ant bait (boric acid), and put Roach Motels in various spots around the boat. Flip them over after 3 weeks, and replace every 6 weeks; they catch all kinds of little critters. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I rarely see a bug loose in the boat.
    This....

But Dave, what about that 2 weeks each year that we have those little flying gnats, they get so bad that I almost think about adding screens to my ports, but then they go away and all is well again and the windows and doors are wide open again. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

We just used Raid Bug Bombs on ours. All dead. Just have to evacuate the boat for about 5 hours.

What does the bug bomb do the interior wood? Does it do any harm with the residue?

Thanks,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    What does the bug bomb do the interior wood? Does it do any harm with the residue?

Thanks,
    Tim
    Not a damn thing. No residue, nothing but dead bugs. We washed all our cups, plates, silverware etc. And changed bed linens and towels. But zero odor or residue. The ones from raid are not a spray. Rather the can comes with a cup, put water in the cup up to the line then set the can in it. Takes about ten seconds and it will start to smoke.. I place them on a plate. Was a bit concerned about heat. But no heat of note. Most important is that the damn bugs are all dead. Bunch of em in the bilges. Vaccumed them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    But Dave, what about that 2 weeks each year that we have those little flying gnats, they get so bad that I almost think about adding screens to my ports, but then they go away and all is well again and the windows and doors are wide open again. John
    That must be a Southwestern Yacht Club thing. We don't get them at Kona Kai. Seriously......
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

It must be that high priced real estate over there. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.