Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
  1. Re: 6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

IMHO the right way to do mains is to take the engines out of the boat. Its definitely faster to pull them in terms of the overall labor picture in terms of the rebuild, as you can do a much better job with the engine on a stand, both in terms of accuracy and speed.

However, the R&R labor is not insignificant, and you then have the alignment to re-do as well.

Its all a balancing act. But for my money, when the time comes, the engines are going to come out.

Re: 6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

If I had a convertable style boat I would pull the engines for the rebuild.
    But in my aft cabin style I think it is better to do them in hull. On my 48 the best way to remove the engines would be to cut a hole in the bridge floor and hoist them up through the hole. You cut the hole just like you would cut the top out of a pumpkin. The cut is at an angle so the removed floor fits back snug and the repair is minimal. But on my 48 I have a bridge hard top that is molded into the radar arch. So that would need to be taken off. I decided to in hull rebuild.
    The rebuilder will be doing sea trial on the rebuilds in about 3 weeks. I will post the results.
    Chris

Plastigauge - You MUST check crank clearances one bearing at a time. While doing so, all bearings must be in place and properly torqued (including the one being measured with the plastigauge). Otherwise your measurements are meaningless.

4. Re: 6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

Yep-yep (Mike, it appears there are not only people who don't bother clearancing things, but that there are people who don't know how to when they DO clearance things! Aieeeeee!)

Let me clarify. The mains were clearance one at a time, all bearings installed and torqued, each bearing jacked up one at a time when clearance checked with plastiguage.
    Chris

rebuild complete

Well the overhaul is complete, we sea trialed the boat two days in a row put about 4 hours on the rebuild they run great, pegged them out to 2500 on the laser tach, doing 26.4 knots on the gps at that speed then set the govenors to 2300rpm WOT which is 24.4 knots on the GPS and cruising at 22 knots at cruise 2100rpms. Only time will tell now about the engines being rebuilt in the boat. Covered all my new hoses with aluminum foil and painted the engines they look pretty good, just in time for Red Snapper season April 21st....cannot wait. The job took about 3.5 wks with me as the 1st assist to the mechanic, was alot of fun....tight lines

7. Re: 6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

Don't run at 2100. 1950-2000 should be your cruise where you're set up.