Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

Well the mechanic is telling me that my engines (6V92tac 535hp on a 45C)tired only after he changed some injectors, took the blower off to look at the aftercooler to see if it was clean.......and now he is telling me that i need to N-frame overhaul the engines which is probally the case the only thing is that i am not sure in this guys confidence, isnt there some pressures he could have checked before doing all this stuff? My engines have 2400hrs on them, and all i can get is 2000rpms out of them. I am in south central Louisiana and a good diesel mechanic for pleasure craft is hard to come by? Anyone knows the rebuild intervals on these engines and what is exactly involed in a N-frame rebuild and what kind of warranty should i expect? And what kind of price am i looking at any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. Re: 6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

2500 hours on 535s isn't too far off the mark, depending on how they've been run.

2000 RPM is a problem. What wheels are you swinging on that boat? Was a compression test done?

PM me with a phone number and I'll call 'ya..... as for costs, expect $3k/hole and be happy if its less.... done RIGHT.

3. Re: 6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

Too many mechanics recommend an overhaul, but some actually are correct. I'd ask this mechanic why he thinks an overhaul is required. If he didn't already tell you, I'd skip him and pick somebody else for the job.

Re: 6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

2000 rpm no-load or underway or both? Were you ever able to acheive the rated WOT rpm or not?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    2500 hours on 535s isn't too far off the mark, depending on how they've been run.

2000 RPM is a problem. What wheels are you swinging on that boat? Was a compression test done?

PM me with a phone number and I'll call 'ya..... as for costs, expect $3k/hole and be happy if its less.... done RIGHT.
    HE is going to call me this evening and let me know the price, i am swinging rolla's 30*33's , no compression test was done, but when i bought the boat in 98 i had a engine survey done at dog river marina in mobile and the pressures were starting to get low then. have you rebuilt your engines before? thanks for the help

6. Re: 6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon45C
    HE is going to call me this evening and let me know the price, i am swinging rolla's 30*33's , no compression test was done, but when i bought the boat in 98 i had a engine survey done at dog river marina in mobile and the pressures were starting to get low then. have you rebuilt your engines before? thanks for the help
    30x33s?! 2:1 gears I hope..... ain't no way that's right for 1.5:1s.

My engines were rebuilt before I bought the boat - I had basically zero time on them when I got it (and have the rebuild invoices.) They didn't do everything - guess who got to finish the job (primarily turbos and such)

Is no-load ok (2500)? Give more details on exactly what you got in the hole (and confirm the gears are 2:1) and what she runs and starts like.....

Meg,
    Send Genesis a PM and give him the full scoop. You will not find a better authority on marine 6-92's. If it were me, I'd pay his airfare to come out and take a looksee.

Your local wrench would love to rebuild your engines at $36,000. Don't do it unless you really need to.

8. Re: 6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

He's a day's drive from me - no need to fly....

I have always had my engines and transmissions removed and rebuilt by a Detroit Diesel shop. If you have to pull one, might as well do it all. As I recall I got a one year warrantee on the jobs. I checked prices last time (in 1980) and they were pretty comparable between DD and my mechanic, whom I trust. But he couldn't give me a warrantee.

While the engines are out is a good time to clean and repaint the engine rooms. This will keep you from being too lonely for your engines while they are gone.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

10. Re: 6V92tac possible rebuild on 45C

There is a solid argument to be made for pulling them and having them rebuilt on the stand, especially in a sportfish. It IS possible to get them out without major surgery on the rear bulkhead.

If you do this you can insist on a dyno run and certificate, which proves output, and you'll likely get a warranty. Have them run in on the dyno before they go back in the boat. While they're out you can clean up everything in the engine room, as it will be easy to get to it all - strip/sand/fill/fair/paint the pans, check for any broken or compromised tabbing, fix any other systems you want to work on, etc - all while its EASY.

The R&R labor iwll be a bit more but the overhaul should be a bit LESS, since its easier and thus faster to do quality work with the engine on an overhaul stand instead of in the boat.