Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Soft start"

"Soft start"

Most probably do not have any issues with the genny starting up the A/C compressor. I have a diesel Westerbeke 5.0. The compressor would start after 5 or 6 attempts. Each time popping the main breaker. Its a Dometic 16,000 btu. After installing a "Soft start" box it starts up every time, no problem.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Re: "Soft start"

I have 2 new A/C units on the way...dropped the $$$ and got soft start (MicroAir easy start https://www.microair.net/collections...-soft-starters). I've heard it's pretty amazing, I'll report back.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Interesting. Any update regarding the performance of Easystart?

Still working .
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

What is the amp draw on the 16,000 btu unit?

I have a 16 & 22k units with 5 kw & 20 kw gennys.

I've only used the 20 kw genny when using AC. Seems 5 kw might be OK if I only use 1 AC.

Been reluctant to use the small genny since AC is running all the time right now.

My 16 and pump draw about 15 amps running maybe 20 for start.

That's at 120 volts.

I ran my one unit on a 20 amp plug no problem.

5 k generator woukd give uou 2.5k 120 volts or about 21 amps.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Thanks Scott,

That's running close to the edge for the 5 kw genny. All the admiral would have to do is turn something on the galley and it would pop. Think I'll have to reserve the small genny for cooler days.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    My 16 and pump draw about 15 amps running maybe 20 for start.

That's at 120 volts.

I ran my one unit on a 20 amp plug no problem.

My present 16, as well as the 2 16's in the old Hatt drew 17amps once running. Start up was consistent on all 3. In excess of 45 amps. They are 120 volt units.
    With the easy start, the start amps are 25. On shore power the amp needle would appear to peg on start up. Around 70 amps. It happened so fast its hard to be exact.

Now with the easy start it is a slow start, the cycle takes about 3 minutes . First the pump, then fan and three minutes later the compressor. Easily observed as a 25 amp slow start on the amp meter.
    Pretty cool. I double checked the wiring on the first attempt because the compressor did not come on. It just took patience. Works like a charm. It also senses high draw and delays the cycle until the draw is reduced by turning something else off.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Thanks Scott,

That's running close to the edge for the 5 kw genny. All the admiral would have to do is turn something on the galley and it would pop. Think I'll have to reserve the small genny for cooler days.
    I've been told by Ocean Breeze that the honda 2kw will run a 12 or 16 (can't remember). My friend has run his 15,000 btu/hr RV a/c with the small honda. Your 5k should do it no problem.

5kw is 41amps at 120vac, 21 at 240vac. My 12,000BTU/hr right now on the boat uses about 15-17 amps running (according to the meter). As long as it can start the compressor, your 5kW will run each one all day long
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

The MicroAir soft start got my attention also. Got a less than 36K btw version that will get installed the next time I have to open up one of the Cruisair control boxes. Sounds pretty slick.

Pete