Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Electronics Recommendations & Resource

In Beaufort, NC. I met a boater who is using an Ipod with very inexpensive software for all his navigation needs. He even has a large touchscreen that cost 1/4 of Garmin or Furuno. He claims it's as good as the systems that cost 4 or 5 times as much.
    Since I want to redo my obsolete Furuno gear, I'd like to know if the claims are accurate and if the setup is safe to use.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Standard horizon are the best

Actually, both are good. It's Chevy vs ford
    I went to Standards after the Icom died prematurely. The Standard has better sound too.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    I went to Standards after the Icom died prematurely. The Standard has better sound too.

Bobk
    I had 2 Icom's on my boat...one up top, in the sun...display died....one in the pilot house, in a dry cool, shade environment....display died. Replaced with a Standard Horizon, and a remote station on the bridge... Great radio, great set up..

Quote Originally Posted by stimmy View Post
    In Beaufort, NC. I met a boater who is using an Ipod with very inexpensive software for all his navigation needs. He even has a large touchscreen that cost 1/4 of Garmin or Furuno. He claims it's as good as the systems that cost 4 or 5 times as much.
    Since I want to redo my obsolete Furuno gear, I'd like to know if the claims are accurate and if the setup is safe to use.
    What did he use for radar and depth?

Autopilot?

Integration to the other gear is important as is water resistance and reliability.

If price is all that matters give up boating and try hiking and tent camping.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by stimmy View Post
    The IPad Navionics has a very, very serious limitation.... The refresh rate is slow, compared to an 82 or 86 series Garmin. I was on a boat in the Keys, when feet mattered, and the owner was using an IPad/ Navionics set up at nut cuttin time. It was beyond stressful. I was on another boat in the same area running an 8615..as close to real time as it gets.. Most all stuff works great, when you don't really need it... It's like the old joke, when seconds count, it's good to know the cops are just minutes away!

I have logged thousands of hours with my iPad running garmin blue charts at the helm as a back up or because
    The charts are better than the built marine stuff and I have never noticed a lag. Many it s the navionics app or maybe it is because I have a cellular iPad with built in GPS chip. But there is no lag and I often use it to get in narrow cuts in the Bahamas sometimes at night. No difference compared to the radar screen
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    The IPad Navionics has a very, very serious limitation.... The refresh rate is slow, compared to an 82 or 86 series Garmin. I was on a boat in the Keys, when feet mattered, and the owner was using an IPad/ Navionics set up at nut cuttin time. It was beyond stressful. I was on another boat in the same area running an 8615..as close to real time as it gets.. Most all stuff works great, when you don't really need it... It's like the old joke, when seconds count, it's good to know the cops are just minutes away!
    So you carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

I'm sure there's plenty of reasons why the iPad will be more liked by those wanting to defend their decision but after speaking to pilots and others who can't afford to have lag or failure I am 100% sold on proper gear.

My MFD has never crashed, rebooted or needed a charge. It's seen solid and reliable always had the latest available charts. Having additional info from other sources is ok but I'd not put my eggs in that basket.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Best set up I have seen is using the standard new stuff from any manufacturer and then installing a wi-fi system so you can have all the data that is on your MFD on your I-Pad to carry around with you, including Radar, depth and even engine data if your system is set up with that info. The new I-Pad pro is great as a screen because it is so much bigger and brighter. With that kind of system you insure that you will not be leaving any money to your kids, but it is really nice to have. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Leave the kids the boat. that's the best way to have them Cary on the sport.

As for the Wi-Fi. That's the definition of latency and lag. I use that all the time with the new gear I install and show then how it is a tool in the toolbox. I'd not try to nav from the iPad even if it was being fed from the main screen of the boat.

I do change course with garmin helm when showing customers how to use their autopilot though.

It's so much fun to see them try to figure out what happened.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    What did he use for radar and depth?

Autopilot?

Integration to the other gear is important as is water resistance and reliability.

If price is all that matters give up boating and try hiking and tent camping.
    I don't know what he used, but my Furuno system has both and interfaces to a Green Marine MFD that also cost only about 1/3 of the Furuno display. It came with the boat when I purchased it about 8 months ago and both the radar and depth still work well.The boat has an independent PC navigation system that uses input from the Furuno. It all seems kind of jury rigged to me and I would like a better, current system. The cost really doesn't matter to me; I just want to get my money's worth.
    For whatever reason, the previous owner didn't interface the autopilot or even the radio to the furuno so neither knows the boat's position.
    BTW, have you seen the cost of camping gear?