Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Electronics Recommendations & Resource

Hi All- After careful consideration (thanks for the advice we received here), we've decided our best move is to keep our beloved 1978 53' Classic and upgrade her electronics for cruising and let the gods of diesel fuel be damned! We're looking for full multi-function navigation suite recommendations and advice. We are the do it yourselfer's but if you know of any resources in Charleston, SC area we would like to speak with them.

As always, we appreciate your time and responses-
    Carol
    Gypsy Soul
    53' Classic, 1978
    Charleston, SC

Re: Electronics Recommendations & Resource

I like Jeff Sechrest at Tidal Marine Electronics. Sharp guy. They're in the book.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Hi All- After careful consideration (thanks for the advice we received here), we've decided our best move is to keep our beloved 1978 53' Classic and upgrade her electronics for cruising and let the gods of diesel fuel be damned! We're looking for full multi-function navigation suite recommendations and advice. We are the do it yourselfer's but if you know of any resources in Charleston, SC area we would like to speak with them.

As always, we appreciate your time and responses-
    Carol
    Gypsy Soul
    53' Classic, 1978
    Charleston, SC
    There may be a member who can help too. Remember some members are in the business.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Ive done Garmin, Northstar, Furuno, Robertson and a few others. I must say that for the money, functionality, ease of DIY install and reliability I like Garmin. Ive worked on Raymarine but not enough operational experience. Of all the brands mentioned, Garmin is the only one that has never broken down and my chartplotter is 14 years old. The Northstar screen die every year and both Furuno Navnet screens are dead and being rebuilt. Garmin just keeps ticking and was the cheapest of the bunch.

That said, Furuno radar and depth is first rate and technical support at Furuno is still among the best. You get a techie on the phone first try that knows everything.

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 07-09-2017 at 08:40 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Garmin is the easiest to learn to use and has a good integration of all the components but they do as any others fail. I sell garmin 10 to 1 but I also do warranty on garmin more or less in that ratio.

Furuno is a decade behind on the chirp sounder technology and is a bear to learn to use. And simrad is a great autopilot and inexpensive multi function display but not as nice as the garmin. Raymarine is raymarine.

I just installed a pair of 8617 garmin screens last week for a customer and have to say they looked better than any screen I've worked with so far but they were expensive. You get what you pay for.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I'd get Garmin. Everyone I know that owns them likes them a lot. I think they also have a very good AP which they got by buying the company that invented it.

Northstar used to be great, but that was a long time ago. Now they are a discount version of Simrad- which ain't all that great in the premium version.

Furuno has always made great radars and sounders. Their nav stuff is not as good as others, although it may be reliable. I have heard that their big vessel systems are fantastic, but none of us have boats big enough for them.

I have Garmin chartplotters on both my boats, and have never had a problem. Not sure I'd call the interface intuitive, but it's at least easy to use. Put Garmin BlueChart on your iPad to use alongside with the Active Captain overlay, and you're all set. I have an ancient Furuno radar that still works great; same with Robertson autopilot.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

I've got Simrad EVO2 and EVO3 on the Hatteras and EVO2 on the CC and it's been very good, people really like the Garmin as well.
    Longevity definitely isn't like the old days as marine electronics today are outdated in 3 or 4 years.
    Best user interface and my all time favorite is still Northstar 962 but we all have to move on at some point.
    I still miss the "real" dials to adjust the radar on the old Furuno radars, adjustment via touch screen just isn't as good.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I still have Northstar 6000i displays. Including some unsold new ones that I was lucky enough to acquire. At some point I will have to convert the boat over to Garmin or whatever, but I do love these. I wish the original Northstar company was still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Raymarine is raymarine.
    I agree. They're customer service is pretty awful in my experience.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC