Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Electronics Recommendations & Resource

Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Hi All- After careful consideration (thanks for the advice we received here), we've decided our best move is to keep our beloved 1978 53' Classic and upgrade her electronics for cruising and let the gods of diesel fuel be damned! We're looking for full multi-function navigation suite recommendations and advice. We are the do it yourselfer's but if you know of any resources in Charleston, SC area we would like to speak with them.

As always, we appreciate your time and responses-
    Carol
    Gypsy Soul
    53' Classic, 1978
    Charleston, SC
    I love Garmin products. All are plug N play. Very easy to work with. However, I also love a Furuno Radar.

Thanks Reefgeorge and others for the great advice. This blog is a wonderful resource with so many knowledgeable and experienced members. Sure saves a lot of wasted expense and learning the hard way.
    The Furuno system that came with my boat actually works pretty well, except the depth sounder is temperamental and seems to work when it feels like it. I can be going along and it's reading 250' and suddenly, it will lose the bottom and start searching for it, eventually finding it and displaying correctly. Even at the 50 KZ (supposedly 600 watt) setting, it has a problem hitting the bottom at more than 500'.
    Of course, when I'm in another boat's wake, it loses the bottom, but that's not unusual. And the darn thing doesn't even have sea temp. Maybe all I need is a better transducer with temp sender and a new nav chip.
    The separate PC system displays nav data different than the furuno, so I assume it has it's own GPS. I have two 15" displays so can view both at once. The radar and nav are fine, except the chart is 4 years old.

Your depth finder range is heavily influenced by how clean the water is passing over the transducer (turbulance) when you are running and how clear the water is in general. Try your depth experiments when the boat is at its slowest speed or standing still vs running. I have fancy huge transducer fairings that are well placed so I get the same depth at almost any speed up to 30 knots but my maximum depth off the east coast of Florida vs the Bahamas is vastly different. Also, I have had boats with a loust transducer install and depth at speed was a problem.

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 07-15-2017 at 07:06 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    If you fish seriously and want the best sounder the furuno chirp system is not it.
    new stuff: http://www.furuno.com/special/en/fishfinder/dff-3d/

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I certainly prefer Garmin. I just upgraded one of my old units two weeks ago to Garmin 7610XSV. Plan to get rid of the second Raymarine unit with winter work. Very happy with the unit and it interfaces with my iphone using Garmin's helm function and with wireless connection I can do nav planning on BlueCharts on my ipad or iphone and then download it when I get to the boat. The NEMA 2000 network lets you expand later and just plug the new stuff in to a connector. I didn't even have to really look at the manual. Just touch the screen and play around with it and its simple to use.
    Regards,

Dr. T

6. Re: Electronics Recommendations & Resource

I have a couple older 12"Garmin units...5212, 7212. They have been great in general. I also have a PC based OpenCPN setup (read free software with free NOAA charts) with RTL-SDR AIS, NEMA 2000 and some other custom tools that I wrote for monitoring the Outback inverter systems and NEMA 2000 dashboarding. I love the control of a PC system, but I also am in the software business so I have some expertise with PC hardware and software so I can self solve issues that come out when the boats away from the dock. I'm also using a custom built RasPi Cell router with big Cell and Wifi antennas which pretty much works 90% of the places I have been around Puget Sound which makes remote access easy when coupled with the PC. On the other hand, Reliability wise and time wise the Garmins just run. My only bad Garmin experience so far was with a 441s that I bought for the dinghy. When it arrived it had a bad GPS chip and was DOA which was somewhat frustrating. Definitely a fan otherwise.

On the Autopilot front, For those of you with 32 volt systems and Garmin autopilots, what hydraulic pump have you used? I am looking at the Garmin Reactor + Hyprodrive PC45 / Constant Raymarine with a 24v convertor to replace the old wood freeman pump / comnav 1420 that I currently have. Very curious to hear how folks have upgraded to new pumps and control units.

I use 2 each converters tied together for redundancy. Set correctly they will share the load and if one dies the other should get you home.

The Garmin smart pump is the best option. I just installed one on a 50 ocean that I will seat trial this afternoon. So far I have had 0 failures on the smartpump.

FWIW this is the 3rd to be installed this month by me.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    I have a couple older 12"Garmin units...5212, 7212. They have been great in general. I also have a PC based OpenCPN setup (read free software with free NOAA charts) with RTL-SDR AIS, NEMA 2000 and some other custom tools that I wrote for monitoring the Outback inverter systems and NEMA 2000 dashboarding. I love the control of a PC system, but I also am in the software business so I have some expertise with PC hardware and software so I can self solve issues that come out when the boats away from the dock. I'm also using a custom built RasPi Cell router with big Cell and Wifi antennas which pretty much works 90% of the places I have been around Puget Sound which makes remote access easy when coupled with the PC. On the other hand, Reliability wise and time wise the Garmins just run. My only bad Garmin experience so far was with a 441s that I bought for the dinghy. When it arrived it had a bad GPS chip and was DOA which was somewhat frustrating. Definitely a fan otherwise.

On the Autopilot front, For those of you with 32 volt systems and Garmin autopilots, what hydraulic pump have you used? I am looking at the Garmin Reactor + Hyprodrive PC45 / Constant Raymarine with a 24v convertor to replace the old wood freeman pump / comnav 1420 that I currently have. Very curious to hear how folks have upgraded to new pumps and control units.
    boy don't I wish you were close to pick your brain, these are some incredible options to have. I would like to find a RELIABLE system that would send engine info from my 12v71's to my 7212 unit and do away with analog gauges

9. Re: Electronics Recommendations & Resource

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I use 2 each converters tied together for redundancy. Set correctly they will share the load and if one dies the other should get you home.

The Garmin smart pump is the best option. I just installed one on a 50 ocean that I will seat trial this afternoon. So far I have had 0 failures on the smartpump.

FWIW this is the 3rd to be installed this month by me.
    The smart pump seems to be a amazing option. However it's max cylinder volume is 24CC and I am not sure that is big enough for our extended 61'. But in fairness I haven't checked the volume yet. In comparison the Wood freeman supports up to 50CC of cylinder volume and the Raymarine pump is in the neighborhood of 30-80.

10. Re: Electronics Recommendations & Resource

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    boy don't I wish you were close to pick your brain, these are some incredible options to have. I would like to find a RELIABLE system that would send engine info from my 12v71's to my 7212 unit and do away with analog gauges
    I have mechanical as well in the ER so I would consider going gauge less , but I am not fully there yet. My end game is to have all tanks, mains and generators on NEMA 2000 and have all of that data sent up to Azure (Cloud) and dash boarded.

The problem that I have found is that the NEMA 2000 hardware is cheap and primarily designed for newer boats and senders and there really are only 3 options for Analog to NEMA 2000 and at this time I think only one will work for us. On other notes, Instrument reliability on our boat is already questionable given that the factory 12v convertor for instruments on each screw is a single point of failure. I am guessing you have a 24v boat so maybe its not as big of a convertor side show as our boat.