Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: moving up

Re: moving up

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Is your boat for sale Bobk ?
    It is not listed, but I have been giving it serious consideration. We will not be cruising her north any more and so we are wondering if keeping a big boat makes sense. Bottom line is I'm on the fence and could be knocked off with a good offer. I'd be happy to discuss it with any one who is interested.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bnoft View Post
    Bob
    The 48 is a great option, I especially like the steps from the aft deck to the flybridge. But I think the 48s are powered by 8-92s, which I understand can be more problematic than the 71 series. What are your engines?
    My engines are 6V92 rated at 425 HP. These are well below the 1 HP per cubic inch measure and so would be considered to be low load engines. The bad reputation of the 92s comes from their use in sport fish where they are high HP and run on the stops. I'm not aware of an 8v92 in a 48MY. There were some 671 NAs but they are the rare boat.

The life of these engines has been discussed many times here. The best advice is to relate it to fuel burned assuming proper maintenance. Mine have been run at 1000 RPM, making 8.2 knots at 5.5 gph. Historically I average 1.3-1.4 smpg including the generator burn.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I'd take. 92 series over a 71 any day. Not just because it's newer technology and larger displacement but usually not run hard in motoryacht.

Bobk puts a lot of time on his engines and maintains them well. I'd not pass over his boat as an option if it's offered for sale. He takes great care of it.
    Scott, my DD mechanic sure agrees with you on the 92s. He is certified on many brands and has rebuilt a lot of engines. Just a couple of weeks ago he offered that the 92 is also much easier to rebuild than a 71. I have motor yacht frinds with 671 TIBs who only get 1500 hours between rebuilds.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Scott, my DD mechanic sure agrees with you on the 92s. He is certified on many brands and has rebuilt a lot of engines. Just a couple of weeks ago he offered that the 92 is also much easier to rebuild than a 71. I have motor yacht frinds with 671 TIBs who only get 1500 hours between rebuilds.

Bobk
    I don't think I'll rebuild the 71's next round. I think the cost/benefit falls short of the reward.

Quote Originally Posted by rtrafford View Post
    I don't think I'll rebuild the 71's next round. I think the cost/benefit falls short of the reward.
    Went thru this decision making..: figure $25k to rebuild each 8V71, another $5 to 7k for the Allisons. For another $15 k I was able to get factory reman C series with new ZFs. All with warranty, lighter and more HP. No brainer
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal, In addition to the $15k per side investment, what other costs such as motor mounts, new shafts, wheels, did u encounter?

Our GB is powered by Cummins so the 8-71 DDs will be a learning experience.

Question for 53 owners, I understand that a 53 cruises comfortably at 12-15 kts and tops out at 19-21 kts. Running at WOT for any length of time is not good for any engine but how does a 53 with 8-71s like 15 kts? Is that within sustainable parameters? I assume fuel burn at that speed (about 17-1800 rpm?) will be more than what I'm accustomed to with a lighter boat.
    Which model cummins is in the GB?

If it was B or C series, you will never reach close to the same fuel born or other enjoyment of the cummins with a detroit.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

92 series are wet liner engines vs dry liners in 71's that means the liner seals are prone to failure due to poor cooling system maintenance overheating or abuse.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The Cummins are 6bt, 1991 315 hp Diamond Series. Original owner replaced 300 hp Cummins, don't know why.
    We cruise at about 1750 rpm= 9+ kts, no flow scan but figure about 5-6 gph. Calm sea and 2300, we roll over the bow wave at 13.5 its, top end 15 at WOT. She isn't built for that and develops a drinking problem above 1800 rpm. Had the bottom blasted and barrier coated this past winter, at 900 rpm she's gliding at 6kts. Really like the Cummins.

Really like the Cummins.
    Then you really won't like a boat with detroits.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381