Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: moving up

moving up

We've owned a 42' Grand Banks for the past 10 years and have listed her for sale. Our thought is to move up to a 53 Hatteras Classic; we like the aft deck better than the ED version. Looked at a couple that need serious work but been there done that; interested in a "cared for " boat. We have taken our grand children for 2-3 day cruises and hope to continue that, one reason for larger vessel. There are 3 or 4 53s in our yacht club so I have seen what a well maintained boat can look like. Our GB is powered by Cummins so the 8-71 DDs will be a learning experience.
    Question for 53 owners, I understand that a 53 cruises comfortably at 12-15 kts and tops out at 19-21 kts. Running at WOT for any length of time is not good for any engine but how does a 53 with 8-71s like 15 kts? Is that within sustainable parameters? I assume fuel burn at that speed (about 17-1800 rpm?) will be more than what I'm accustomed to with a lighter boat.
    Thanks, already learned a lot reading older posts, I have a long way to go.
    Bill

Re: moving up

A 48' Series I MY will also provide a very large aft deck and will run well as a trawler too. Pics in my profile if you are interested.

Bob

Is your boat for sale Bobk ?
    Last edited by MadHatter53; 07-09-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Bob
    The 48 is a great option, I especially like the steps from the aft deck to the flybridge. But I think the 48s are powered by 8-92s, which I understand can be more problematic than the 71 series. What are your engines?

I own and love our 53. Very spacious. Built like a tank.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by bnoft View Post
    Bob
    The 48 is a great option, I especially like the steps from the aft deck to the flybridge. But I think the 48s are powered by 8-92s, which I understand can be more problematic than the 71 series. What are your engines?
    I'd take. 92 series over a 71 any day. Not just because it's newer technology and larger displacement but usually not run hard in motoryacht.

Bobk puts a lot of time on his engines and maintains them well. I'd not pass over his boat as an option if it's offered for sale. He takes great care of it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

12 to 15 kts in any boat that size range is just about the worst possible speed. Either you stick to 9kts and fail about 9gph or get fully in plane at 16/17 kts. At 12kts you ll burn over twice the fuel than you would at 9kts T
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks Pascal. Haven't had anything that went that fast, 'kept the Grady but I don't want to sleep on it.
    Is that speed OK on the engines? I don't mean for a 6 hour run but maybe 1-2 hours if storms are threatening. I am perfectly happy at 9-10 kts.
    And Scott and Bob, I'm not bad mouthing the 92s, or Bob's 48.
    Bill
    Last edited by bnoft; 07-09-2017 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added comment

Actually the later 53's came with the 6-92's and the boats perform well with them. They are a little faster than the 71's. As far as how good they are..just ask Sky. He has a mid 80's 53 ED with the 92's in it and they have performed exceptionally well. All they require, like most mechanical things is good maintenance. BTW the 92's i'm referring to have less than 500 HP so they are not stressed. Good luck with your quest for a Hatteras and welcome to the forum.

Walt

Walter
    Thanks, the higher h.p. 92s are the ones that I understand might be a bit overpowered and hence run a little harder. All said, the DD is a reliable power plant that has proven itself over time.
    Bill