Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Looking for a 48' LRC

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The LRC pilothouse has almost total glass on all sides, with lots of light and lots of Summer time heat being provided. That area alone has approximately 20K BTU of AC dues to a modification I installed, and it can use every BTU when it gets to be 95+ degrees outside.
    Get this installed: http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...2716668&rt=rud
    Only available to dealers. It's not cheap, but I've heard it's amazing. I'm getting it on my RV and boat windshields.

Here's thread with pictures of the 65' LRC bottom, notice hard chines in the rear. Doesn't look much different than a MY to me: http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho.....is-it-really
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Looking at the second picture in your second link, you can see the second item I mentioned. Notice that the bottom bubbles lower forward and then rises as it continues aft. I have never seen a motor yacht with the power to plane where the bottom rises going aft. The 65 LRC looks like the 58 LRC with the flat area aft extended.

As for the keel, I can not see it from the stern, so all I can offer is what I wrote before. As a non apples to apples comparison, last time I was on the hard, I was next to a 53 MY and the keel on the 48 LRC was twice as deep and twice maybe three times as wide. As a measurement I know, my props on the 48 LRC are 28" diameter and the keel is another 3 or 4 inches below that and about 5 maybe 6 inches wide at the aft end.

Thanks for the lead on the windows. Will definitely check it out.

Pete

Pete, please don't misunderstand... I am not demeaning the 48 LRC or any LRC for that matter. It was brought up about the running surfaces being similar but not exactly the same. The 48 MY also has a deep and very wide keel, which is where most of the storage of liquids (fuel and holding tank) is located. The water tank (190 gal) is under the master center line queen bed. One of the most obvious differences without getting into exact angles etc is that the 48 MY also is a "double" chine boat, which should give it some additional lift whereby given enough power it has the ability to get up and run as the need presents itself. I believe they tried to blend some of the best features of each design with some compromise, but then again, anything on a boat it seems is a compromise. The LRC which is a wonderful boat for it's original purpose has many compromises like any other boat. I view most "trawlers" very much like sailboats insofar as actual use versus design use. Most sailboats put as many or more hours on their auxiliary engines as most power boats and that's fine but they were designed to make long passages under sail. Just as most of the go fast boats such as the cigarette type boats were designed for off shore high speed running, the majority of them with their loud exhaust etc are really used to travel at high speed in protected water between one waterside watering hole to another driven by overweight men undergoing a mid life crises with a couple of pounds of gold chain dangling on their beer bellies. I somehow don't think that's what Don Arranno had in mind when he designed them. While most sportfishers/convertibles are used for fishing, some never see a fish on board and that's fine. Some owners prefer the convertible design/look over the cruiser design because it handles rough water better but suffers in human accommodations size to size. These are all my opinions based on 80 years on this earth, most of which involved boats of one type or another including quite a few (gasp) sailboats and a couple of go fast boats. In my opinion the Series 1, 48 MY was probably one of the better compromises of almost any boat design.

Walt

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Just as most of the go fast boats such as the cigarette type boats were designed for off shore high speed running, the majority of them with their loud exhaust etc are really used to travel at high speed in protected water between one waterside watering hole to another driven by overweight men undergoing a mid life crises with a couple of pounds of gold chain dangling on their beer bellies.

In my opinion the Series 1, 48 MY was probably one of the better compromises of almost any boat design.
    I love it! I have one of those go-fast boats that's been broken and on the trailer the last 3 years (one of the engines needs a cam and other stuff)....and now the Hatt gets all the attention. It's red and totally 80's....once I get it fixed, I need to go gold chain shopping now that I'm older than I was before. But I'm putting this one in this weekend...it's a truly useless redneck boat.

The problem with the 48MY is that it doesn't have a cockpit. What use is a boat without a cockpit!???!!?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I love it! I have one of those go-fast boats that's been broken and on the trailer the last 3 years (one of the engines needs a cam and other stuff)....and now the Hatt gets all the attention. It's red and totally 80's....once I get it fixed, I need to go gold chain shopping now that I'm older than I was before. But I'm putting this one in this weekend...it's a truly useless redneck boat.

The problem with the 48MY is that it doesn't have a cockpit. What use is a boat without a cockpit!???!!?
    We are beating this to death, but FWIW, there is a cockpit version of the 48MY. It is a two SR vessel with a smaller aft deck. Mine is not, but does have an extended swim platform which provides some of the cockpit advantages. Everything is a compromise on a boat.

Bobk

Wink Re: Looking for a 48' LRC

I have to disagree that owners of the Hatteras LRCs do not use them as intended. My boat used
    run from Florida to an remote island in Maine every year and then was sold to a couple that cruise
    her around the world (the wrong way). Like Eric says Kismet had indications of a world cruise.

My friend Perry has his 48 in Belize. I think he runs back this week across the Gulf.

Fred took his 48 around the loop down to the Caribbean. Then out to Alaska.

One LRCer used to run from Nova Scotia to the Caribbean every year for years without ever seeing
    the ICW. He went thru Burmuda.

"Aftermath" is in the Chesapeake Bay after a run up from Granada.

Folks looking for a 65 LRC chased one to the Philippines only to find out it was not for sale. There
    were only 13 made and we think 11 left, one was run over by a freighter off the Baha many years
    ago with the loss of all hands, another was lost in Katrina.

Bob Smith has his 58 up in New England yet again. He'll be back for Labor Day in St. Micheal's.
    He's visiting Knuckhead also a 58 out of Florida cruising around Long Island.

Too long a post I'll stop now. You can do most of these things on a MY. But its easy with a LRC.

Skooch 58 LRC 1976
    Wye River MD

This subject seems to keep shifting around, so I will conclude with the only point I was trying to make from the beginning, stated as simply as I can.

The wetted hull contour of the 48 LRC will not plane, and was not designed to plane, therefore a hull of similar length that does plane will have a different wetted contour.

Pete

No question about it, it is a different contour and they are great sea boats with tremendous range but I think Hargrave tried to compromise between the typical MY and the LRC which is why the 48 MY has some similarity such as the soft chines forward transitioning to hard chines aft. The MY also has the wide deep keel, but perhaps not quite the same as the LRC. BTW my comments were not intended to be critical of the LRC in any way. They are great boats for what they were designed to do, but for my use, I prefer the MY.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Anyone know of any 48' LRC's out there that owners may be considering re-homing? Thinking about downsizing from our 53'.
    You are welcome to PM or email me. Thanks as always!
    Carol
    Gypsy Soul
    53' Classic
    i have a 58 lrc hull #336 with 671s just on the market call me 7244331144
    if you never screwed nothin up you never fixed nothin either
    Geoff Geier
    Shenandoah # 336