Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Looking for a 48' LRC

I'm late to this thread but wanted to provide a warning. There is a Hatteras 48 listed on YW as being for sale in Charleston, SC. I saw the boat two days ago. The photos on YW are from the previous owner and do not reflect the boat's current condition by any stretch of the imagination. While I was disappointed, at least I live here so it only cost me a couple of hours time. I cannot imagine the frustration/anger someone would feel if they traveled here to see this boat based on the photos that are on YW. Let me put it this way, I'm not sure you could bring that boat back unless you had very deep pockets and got it for next to nothing. I write this with empathy for the owner (whom I did not meet). I've owned two "project" boats and I know how easy it is to get upside down. I don't know the listing broker, didn't meet him either, but the term "false advertising" would not be out of line in this situation.Having done my civic duty, I'd like to share that I'm looking at Hatteras LRC's. Being a former sailor, speed isn't important but economy is. I like the fuel burn I see reported for the LRC's. I was surprised by the 48. No offense to any owner but I thought the interior was small, chopped up and dark. Remember, this is coming from a former sailor! So, I'm wondering if the 58 Is a better fit. Is there that much of a difference in annual operating costs? Besides the obvious marina fees? Given that I like slow and low fuel bills, are there any other boats we should be looking at? The "boss" doesn't care how fast it goes, she just wants lotsa space! -- Sam

By comparison, the 58 LRC is a way more complicated boat to own and operate. I was aboard the 1975 58 LRC for sale in Ft Lauderdale a few weeks ago. I have a dropbox file of 100+ detail photos of that boat ( good and bad) that I will share if you're interested. Send me a PM with your email address.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by Sb843 View Post
    I'm late to this thread but wanted to provide a warning. There is a Hatteras 48 listed on YW as being for sale in Charleston, SC. I saw the boat two days ago. The photos on YW are from the previous owner and do not reflect the boat's current condition by any stretch of the imagination. While I was disappointed, at least I live here so it only cost me a couple of hours time. I cannot imagine the frustration/anger someone would feel if they traveled here to see this boat based on the photos that are on YW. Let me put it this way, I'm not sure you could bring that boat back unless you had very deep pockets and got it for next to nothing. I write this with empathy for the owner (whom I did not meet). I've owned two "project" boats and I know how easy it is to get upside down. I don't know the listing broker, didn't meet him either, but the term "false advertising" would not be out of line in this situation.Having done my civic duty, I'd like to share that I'm looking at Hatteras LRC's. Being a former sailor, speed isn't important but economy is. I like the fuel burn I see reported for the LRC's. I was surprised by the 48. No offense to any owner but I thought the interior was small, chopped up and dark. Remember, this is coming from a former sailor! So, I'm wondering if the 58 Is a better fit. Is there that much of a difference in annual operating costs? Besides the obvious marina fees? Given that I like slow and low fuel bills, are there any other boats we should be looking at? The "boss" doesn't care how fast it goes, she just wants lotsa space! -- Sam
    The 48 Series I motor yacht was designed to operate as a trawler and has comparable fuel economy at 8-9 knots as well as a much more spacious feeling interior and a huge aft deck. Several owners here have pictures that you can peruse and SAMS also has an old article on the boat including performance curves. I'm burning 5-5.5 GPH at 8 knots on mine. If you can't find the article and would like to see it, PM me with your email and I'll send it to you.

Bobk

LRC's don't really get any better fuel mileage than the other boats going slow. Especially a comparable hatt with modern engines.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    LRC's don't really get any better fuel mileage than the other boats going slow. Especially a comparable hatt with modern engines.
    It comes down to a combination of economy and capacity. The 58 LRC has trans-Atlantic capabilities. Not that anyone is going to cross an ocean in a 40+ year old boat... but she could do it if you would.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    It comes down to a combination of economy and capacity. The 58 LRC has trans-Atlantic capabilities. Not that anyone is going to cross an ocean in a 40+ year old boat... but she could do it if you would.
    That's why your the expert Eric. And the reason its called a Long Range Cruiser. MY's are not in the same category at all.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

You're right Fred, but how many LRC's do you think actually make very long passages like ocean crossings? You can probably count them on the fingers of one hand. I think that the LRC's are outstanding boats for their purpose but I also think that 99.9% of Hatteras owners will never use them as they were intended. That being said, I agree with Bobk about the Series 1, 48' MY in that for our use they are better laid out than the same size LRC. The running surfaces of the 48 MY are very similar to the 48 LRC with soft chines along the forward 2/3's of the boat transitioning to hard chines aft in order to be able to plane when necessary or desired. While the other Hatteras MY's do not have the unique hull design of the LRC's or the Series I 48 MY they are all very efficient at displacement speeds with the added benefit of being able to get up and go if and when required.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    It may have the range, but I wouldn't trust it. It really isn't hardened for heavy blue water---strong water tight doors, strong windows, redundant systems, etc. But yes, very large fuel tanks! They make a nice boat for those that want what they offer.

I was aboard the Clean Deanie 65 when it was being sold up in CT (I think by the bank). Quite large, but a nice yacht.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

The 58 LRC that I have sold several times, formerly owned by HOF member OBX Tucker has documentation aboard that suggests she has been around the world. So it is possible and has been done.
    Eric

Walt, on the contour comparison of the wetted hull on a 48 Series I and LRC, let me direct your attention to the keel. That is where you will see the obvious difference and with a finer attention to detail you will also notice a difference in the angle of the lower middle to aft wetted section. The LRC has more of a sail boat contour to my eye.

I am not a naval architect, however the keel both in depth and breadth on the LRC looks like a non starter for planning speed, but perhaps a good choice for slow speed directional stability, when keel planning is not a consideration. Just my opinion.

On the general space comments by several members, perception is everything so if space in the LRC seems smaller that is what counts. The LRC does have a cockpit which takes away enclosed space, but at the same time is double deckered with the pilot house over the master stateroom. Not sure which boat when actually measured has more interior space, but again perception is everything.

On the perception of the interior being darker on the LRC, that is clearly the case, especially at the salon/galley level. While the forward windshield is open on the Series I to the salon, the LRC has a solid deck to cabin top bulkhead that separates it from the pilothouse. The LRC pilothouse has almost total glass on all sides, with lots of light and lots of Summer time heat being provided. That area alone has approximately 20K BTU of AC dues to a modification I installed, and it can use every BTU when it gets to be 95+ degrees outside.

As some readers may recall, I am redoing the steering station vinyl in the pilothouse currently and have replaced the darker tan Hatteras color with a light cream, that matches the dinette, to hopefully absorb less heat on those hot days.

Pete