Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duracell 8D's?

Hybrid View

Duracell 8D's?

So I discovered one bad battery and I've decided to swap out all four and start fresh. After reading threads here and searching online I found a new ( to me) company, Batteries and bulbs that has a 1400CCA heavy duty duracells locally for $162.00 with exchange. Theses are advertised to weigh 130lbs each so it seems they aren't skimping on lead. Has anyone tried these or this company?

Re: Duracell 8D's?

Bought two Duracell group 31 AGM batteries for my bow thruster a while back. I'm happy with those if it helps any.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I have 6 Duracell GC2's in my house bank. Not sure my experience is applicable to 8D's, but I've had good performance with no complaints.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Mike, I don't know how you use your boat, but if you cruise away from your battery source, be sure your battery warranty will be easy to honor where ever you are. After being nailed twice because of lack of local service/dealers and 'house brands' I switched to popular brands, NAPA for the 8-D's and Workaholics for GC-2.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    So I discovered one bad battery and I've decided to swap out all four and start fresh. After reading threads here and searching online I found a new ( to me) company, Batteries and bulbs that has a 1400CCA heavy duty duracells locally for $162.00 with exchange. Theses are advertised to weigh 130lbs each so it seems they aren't skimping on lead. Has anyone tried these or this company?
    Rolls hhg 8d is 175 pounds 15+ year life expectancy

Sounds like a pretty good price. Sams Club sells duracell and I think the 8d's were $190ish. I'm going to switch away from 8d at some point...too heavy to get in and out and even though I'm young compared to the wise men here, my back can't handle the 8d.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good price. Sams Club sells duracell and I think the 8d's were $190ish. I'm going to switch away from 8d at some point...too heavy to get in and out and even though I'm young compared to the wise men here, my back can't handle the 8d.
    Your engines can start with a group 31. Cummins did a good job of keeping the required amperage low. My Detroit's won't start on single 31.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Mike, I replaced all four of my 8D's with the exact batteries you are talking about from my local Batteries Plus + Bulbs for my 44TC. My Detroit 8v71's have no problem starting with them. I have not had any problems at all other than they are back breakers to install. The price is unbeatable and I have no regrets for buying them.

Alex

Thanks everyone, I've got to make a phone call to our local battery shop that delivers and installs to see how much the price difference (my back) is I only weigh 45lbs more than each battery and will probably tap out after the first one. Is it feasible to replace the 8D's with two smaller batteries that will fit in the boxes and have equal starting amps?