Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Duracell 8D's?

Re: Duracell 8D's?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Your engines can start with a group 31. Cummins did a good job of keeping the required amperage low. My Detroit's won't start on single 31.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    Is it feasible to replace the 8D's with two smaller batteries that will fit in the boxes and have equal starting amps?
    I would not replace the 8d with one group 31. I'd use at least two batteries. The internet says three group 24 (and maybe 34) fit in 8d space.

My RV has same engine and two batteries in parallel to start it. It also has 2 8d gels for the house, but they are on a slide out tray and much easier to get to.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

3 group 24 will fit in the 8d space but according to my battery guy will not equal an 8d overall. Krush for your boat this will be a great fix for ease of service since they are a lot easier to handle.

Also FWIW.

I know I only get a 1 year warranty on the heavy duty 8d batteries I sell. The smaller ones sometimes have longer warranty periods
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    Thanks everyone, I've got to make a phone call to our local battery shop that delivers and installs to see how much the price difference (my back) is I only weigh 45lbs more than each battery and will probably tap out after the first one. Is it feasible to replace the 8D's with two smaller batteries that will fit in the boxes and have equal starting amps?
    I have replaced a single 8D with two Group 31s just because of the weight/size issues. Changing an 8D is such a pain. You just have to make sure your battery box will hold the additional width (an 8D is about 11" wide while a Group 31 is 13" long and idealy you put them in sideways so it is easier to cable them together. )

Thanks again everyone. I spent some time at the battery shop going over some options including North Star AGM's and multiple smaller batteries. As mentioned above three group 24's will fit in my 8d boxes, initial price is higher but much easier to deal with down the road. For now I decided to replace with heavy duty 8d's and although more $$ per battery than the duracells for $150 this company will deliver four 8d batteries, install, and take away the cores. I'm under a time restraint to make an upcoming trip so I'll go with a different set up next time around.

I have had good luck with Lifeline batteries. I have 6 of their 31's but they are pricey.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I gave up changing batteries a while ago. I'm having 4 new 8Ds installed this week. It will cost me about $200 more than if I did it myself but for that $200 I don't have to go get the new ones or return the cores, don't have to bug a friend to help get them in. I'm sure I'll save more than $200 in lost work by not killing my back!
    Jack Sardina