Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can you recommend a thread sealant?

Recently developed a slow drip while running at the 1" pipe elbow pictured. Tried 3/4" wide teflon tape (leaving first thread uncovered) only to have it leak after a couple hours run time. Next was Permatex "high performance" thread sealant ($15) and the "recommended for best performance" Permatex Surface Prep Activator for Anaerobics ($20) Waited the recommended 24 hours before use and the leak returned after an hour of run time. I had cleaned both threads as well as possible with a small stainless brush and can not see any cracks. I THINK what's happening is since this fitting has to be positioned just so it's not really tight, although I do have to use a wrench to position it. The remnants of the original thread sealant are rock hard and seam tough as nails. I'm considering Locktite 592 thread sealant but have to order it and the recommended cure time is 72 hours. Thanks for any advise, regards Craig.
    Attached Images

Re: Can you recommend a thread sealant?

Grab the Teflon tape and wind it around your middle finger. This way it can't be used ever again.

Are you sure you have the correct thread types? Straight vs tapered? It should not leak if the threads are right after applying the cremated or my favorite blue stuff leak lock.

If it does I think there's another issue to address.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

3. Re: Can you recommend a thread sealant?

I use permatex ptfe paint on sealant.

http://www.seton.com/permatexr-threa...All%20Products

It's cheap and works good for most everything.

No teflon for fuel lines is #1. If it ain't tight it ain't right even if it's pipe threads. If you can't get it around another turn get a new elbow. It's gotta be tight to seal even with sealant.

Bet you can lube it and work it around back and forth very gradually and then clean and seal.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I've had good luck with this stuff.
    Attached Images

After years of battling the crappy fittings of the new generation I have developed the following list which finally has the threaded fitting leak monkey off of my back:

3/8" or less - white teflon tape or leak lock

>3/8" - pink teflon tape or leak lock

hydraulic/pnuematic/fuel - Loctite 545 which is what I recommend here because the high lubricity may allow that extra turn.

As stated above make sure your tapered/tapered or straight/straight. There is also BSP which could also be screwing you up,

Good luck.

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 06-26-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

7. Re: Can you recommend a thread sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    No teflon for fuel lines is #1. If it ain't tight it ain't right even if it's pipe threads. If you can't get it around another turn get a new elbow. It's gotta be tight to seal even with sealant.

Bet you can lube it and work it around back and forth very gradually and then clean and seal.
    I agree that teflon tape can clog up injectors etc, but the liquid stuff I've never had a problem with. PTFE line is used widely for A/C lines and fuel lines and holds up well to solvents. As a material its good stuff. I'm curious why this is not recommended.

8. Re: Can you recommend a thread sealant?

Thanks all, great inputs. That NPT elbow is the one that's been in there since new and is the same as the other three. I was reluctant to replace it because it says USA on it and I don't see anything wrong with it, other than it tightens up just past where I need it to and could break the oil filter housing if over tightened. I think I'll buy two or three 1" elbows and see if I can get one to tighten up in the right position. I may have to re-orientate the elbow on the oil hose as the odds are against it lining up correctly with the fittings on the oil pump in a different elbow but oh well. Thanks and best wishes Craig

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    I agree that teflon tape can clog up injectors etc, but the liquid stuff I've never had a problem with. PTFE line is used widely for A/C lines and fuel lines and holds up well to solvents. As a material its good stuff. I'm curious why this is not recommended.
    Meant teflon tape. Sorry I was unclear.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC