Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Higher Engine Temps After Cooling Service

Or the sender's are now clean and reports accurate temps.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Great point Bob.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

If you are switching from green coolant to water with corosion inhibitor then that may be a bit of an issue that would be like going from green coolant to red. It was explained to me that the green coolant stops corrosion by adding a thin film on all wetted surfaces. That works with that coolant to protect corosuion and transfer heat. Red coolant like the water and addative have the addative to protect corrosion. If you switched with no flushing or cleaning to remove that film that may be affecting heat transfer. Not sure if this is your issue but something to think about.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out with this! As it turns out, it looks like I had the wrong ratio mixed in. I went by the mixing rate printed on the back of the bottle, that called for 12.5% by volume. During my obsessive research for a solution, I found a Detroit Diesel Service Bulletin online that called for 7.5% by volume. After switching to the latter solution rate, I took the boat for a spin, and the engines were back to normal. Prior to taking my next extended run, I will definitely check my impellers and change out the thermostats as suggested. I will also be doing a Genesis inspired acid wash through the raw water side.

This website and its members are an invaluable resource. When I come on here, I feel like I'm standing among giants. I have a lot to learn and a long way to go!
    Vic
    1978 Hatteras 46C Hull #127
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

Glad it all worked out. Luckily it was an easy fix. This site is great!!!!!!
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks for posting the final outcome.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"