Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Higher Engine Temps After Cooling Service

After running the Penray online cleaner for 30 days, I flushed the engines (8V71TI) and replaced the coolant with distilled water and Detroit Diesel Powercool Plus 6000. At the dock, the engines warmed up like normal. Once under load at speed, both engines heated up to 185 simultaneously. They have never been that hot before. I assume I missed something along the way. Is there air that needs to be bled from the system somewhere? Did I skip a step? Please help! Spending the night on the hook and will tackle this in the morning (if I can sleep)... I appreciate any responses!
    Vic
    1978 Hatteras 46C Hull #127
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

Re: Higher Engine Temps After Cooling Service

You could have an air block. Open the cap and drain each pitcock. Re check your fill of coolant and fill. Hope that helps.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Too much coolant will cause over heating. No more then 50% should be used.

Thanks for the replies! I tried burping the system as best I could. Ran back to the dock late last night and temps were still elevated. I'm using an OAT inhibitor/water only solution with no coolant. I assume my next step is to pull the thermostats, which I should have done anyway during the service. Other than eventual carbon buildup, is it a bad idea to run the engines with no thermostats during a Miami summer? Last night the bay water was in the mid 80°s. In July/August they push 90°.
    Vic
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

What temp did they run at before you serviced them? Will they maintain 185° under load, or do they still climb?

Do not leave the t-stats out.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

You might want to check your impellers as well. Probably not the issue since both engines increased heat. However it's not going to hurt.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I chased an overheat problem last summer from the wrong end! Changed coolant, cleaned thermostat,intercoolers,heat exchangers.Changed thermostats, impellers and even some hoses.
    Strainers were immaculate. I started on the wrong end. The holes in the scoops on the hull were almost filled with deposits. I had a diver clean them the best he could. Problem solved. Over the winter layup I enlarged all of the 1/32 holes to appx. 3/16". Like I said, I started on the wrong end.

Prior to this service they would cruise just over 175° except for July-September they would creep just to the right of the 180° hash mark. Last night, they stabilized at 185° and stayed there.

Although the exhaust water flow seemed normal, I will definitely check the impellers and intake/strainer as well.

Thanks!!
    Vic
    "LISA'S HATT"
    Miami, Fl.

It sounds like the thermostats may have been stuck open prior to the service. I would replace them just out of general principle.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Replace thermostats and seals. I had one sticking and not fully opening once.

Its hard to believe it would happen on both engines at the same time, however.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI