Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Late '80's Wallpaper a Hatt option?

Hey, I'm looking at some '88's 89's and 90 vintage 67' and 70' hatts (you know...the one's with the Stealth exterior?)

Some of these boats have wood salons just like the older boats and some of 'em have whitish/off-whitish, what looks to be... wall paper. Not the white washed paneling...I'm talkin' real wall paper (at least it's appears to be...I've yet to do a real hands on experiment with one)

Did any of these vintage Hatts come from the factory with wall paper in the salon as an option? The bedrooms are still wood veneer....however....there's so many that look like wall paper in the salon....it's beginning to look like more than coincidence. Some are wood....but too many are wall paper for wood to have not been a factory option...

all of the kitchens are white....factory there for sure I'm guessing...
    Last edited by dcate; 06-23-2017 at 06:22 PM.

Re: Late '80's Wallpaper a Hatt option?

All deckhouse walls were some sort of stained wood AFAIK. Many have been "updated" with wallcoverings over the wood - for various reasons.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    All deckhouse walls were some sort of stained wood AFAIK. Many have been "updated" with wallcoverings over the wood - for various reasons.
    It's amazing the number of boats that have the wall paper. The creme-de-la-cremen are almost all wood. Funny...how that works.

One can either afford to do what one wants with these boats...or can't afford not too I guess.

Really really nice wood boats seems to be at the top of the food chain. And the papered boats can't be bought right enough to wood them again.

the search continues.....I'm finding to each his own....unless he wants wood....then he'd better have some $$

Thanks for the tip.....
    Last edited by dcate; 06-24-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Holy cow David! Going from your 56 to a 70 you really have gotten the fever again. I'm with you though, I want an old classic boat to look like an old classic boat, not a retro condo with white cabinets and mirrors. Hopefully we're headed back down to Savannah GA to visit our boat over the 4 th of July week. We'll be going across 24 to 75 through Chattanooga but I'll still wave at you. 🙋

Randy

Jerry, I just kick tires and day-dream.

You found one? That's exciting...I wanna hear about it...do call.

Dcate hit it on the head. Especially with the older boats, it can cost a great deal to either refinish, or worse, replace, all that afromosia paneling in the salons.

My boat, a lot smaller (36') only has wallpaper in the head. The rest of the interior is all afromosia. Even old and a bit battered, it still looks very good. These boats had very good quality interior work, from the factory. The problems came mostly when folks tried to "improve" them.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Dcate hit it on the head. Especially with the older boats, it can cost a great deal to either refinish, or worse, replace, all that afromosia paneling in the salons.

My boat, a lot smaller (36') only has wallpaper in the head. The rest of the interior is all afromosia. Even old and a bit battered, it still looks very good. These boats had very good quality interior work, from the factory. The problems came mostly when folks tried to "improve" them.
    When my wife and I were looking for a 60C, most of them (depressingly) had been "updated" by painting out all that beautiful afromosia in white, then covering that with mirrors.
    Blech! We were both raised on wooden sailboats, and feel a properly presented yacht has varnished teak bulkheads and a cream overhead.
    We recently paid a small fortune to have our entire interior professionally re varnished in a two tone scheme. The craftsman (a woman actually, Blairwood marine in San Diego) even removed every door and drawer and re varnished the insides/bottoms of those, the stairs, the ER companionway, everything!
    A beautiful job, and worth every penny.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

I removed the panels, trim, headboards in the salon of our 58 LRC. Stripped the wall paper and
    sanded the panels. Worst part was the wall paper dude filled all the edges and gauges with white
    spackle before the wall paper.

No that hard may be 20-30 hours. Remove the headboard and the trim around the windows and rug.
    Trim is nailed with brass nails. Panels were also nailed on my boat but on my other LRC they were screwed
    with small brass screws. I carefully removed the panels and refinished them on the aft deck. I also added
    rock wool insulation/sound material in the cavities.

Looks great and engine noise is significantly reduced in the salon with the rock wool and I added rubber
    sound absorber under the carpet

Skooch
    1976 58 Hatteras LRC
    Currently at Jerrett Bay Boat Works

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    When my wife and I were looking for a 60C, most of them (depressingly) had been "updated" by painting out all that beautiful afromosia in white, then covering that with mirrors.
    Blech! We were both raised on wooden sailboats, and feel a properly presented yacht has varnished teak bulkheads and a cream overhead.
    We recently paid a small fortune to have our entire interior professionally re varnished in a two tone scheme. The craftsman (a woman actually, Blairwood marine in San Diego) even removed every door and drawer and re varnished the insides/bottoms of those, the stairs, the ER companionway, everything!
    A beautiful job, and worth every penny.
    Dave, would you be able to post a picture or two of the results? It is so nice to see these old girls get the love they deserve.

I've seen Dave's boat and he is not exaggerating. The job is beautiful, but so is the rest of the boat especially the engine room and he has the best starting 12 71's I have ever seen. I stood on the swim step when he started up and there was absolutely no smoke. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.