Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Re: How would YOU address these and how immediate?

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    so the ungentlemanly behavior only applies to the newbie? Where 99% of people go wrong is ASSuming ones demeanor when they type in a forum
    I'd say it applies to all. Of course if you wish to rationalize your actions because someone else did it first then you've spoken volumes.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Where did others use obscenity or poor taste?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Ageless

We are not the boss of you so you get to decide how to handle yourself. I will tell you that I am a technical person by trade and have been on countless forums over the years for many subjects. This forum is one of the best and has an endless supply of people with knowledge trying to help you. They are also a proud bunch and are often opinionated but such is the personality of many competent technical people. In the end the moderators and the primary members get to decide what is OK and not OK here and if I were you I would have some humility and benefit from the depth of knowledge here. If you remain defensive and get booted I know of no other resource that can give you so much help for free. Why don't you just thank these guys and if you see something that you don't find useful, next post. I don't even own a Hatteras and this is still one of the best boating sites available.

Years ago I had a guy tell me that I didn't even deserve to own a truck because I had a polite but different opinion about oil change intervals. I remember thinking, well then it's a good thing that he doesn't get to decide if I get to buy a truck. Then next post.

I hope that you get your work straightened out and are able to boat safely.

Oh and on the subject at hand I agree that the process would be clean it up and properly asses the condition which I believe was the opinion of many. Also make sure that you have a proper supply of wooden bongs, a mallet, various hose clamps, sheet material, diapers ... readily available in the ER. My fittings look pretty good but I still have all that stuff.

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 06-26-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Gorge, I consider Cabos "baby Hatts" so you belong here just fine.

Well said George.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

I think a Cabo is one sweet ride. I would own one in a hart beat. A couple of them here at my marina. Also 9 Hatts. Great company.

Have a blessed week,

Tim

Personally. If it were me I'd disassemble all the parts and use the dd formula for cleaning heat exchangers on them And then decide if they need replacing. I did that to mine and found that when cleaned the bronze had a pinkish color which means I had poor bonding wires and some sort of electrolysis going on. Just my two cents. Good luck to you.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Wow!! I never even looked at this thread until today. It looks like I missed the fireworks!!

Getting to the topic at hand, I would do as others have suggested and clean them and assess the condition. These are pretty stout parts and it is unlikely that they would be a problem but I wouldn't take that chance without being able to get a better look under that corrosion.

I would also not rely on anyone other than myself to decide if my boat is seaworthy; not a surveyor, not a mechanic, and surely not some forum. Each of us has to make that judgement on our own. I tend to err on the side of caution and replace parts if there is any doubt. Others may not feel the same.

This forum is a great resource and I'm sure that I have learned more than I have contributed.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 06-27-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    thank you Jim, I have ordered 6 new sea strainers and fittings, don't need valves other than the strainers that have them included, 2 cases of filters, 2 new rudder stuffing boxes and packing. Replacing everything Wednesday
    Please post pics of replacing those rudder stuffing boxes..we'd all benefit from seeing how that's done on Wednesday.