Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How would YOU address these and how immediate?

Survey reveled these two items that I would like input on addressing. Strainer belongs to generator
    Last edited by ageless; 06-23-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Re: How would YOU address these and how immediate?

What???????
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

here's the other
    Last edited by ageless; 06-23-2017 at 12:52 PM.

4. Re: How would YOU address these and how immediate?

Oh boy! Some work required!

If nothing is leaking then these are just cosmetic. The problem is that once you start to clean these up you will find you will probably need to replace seals and gaskets, maybe the internal strainer in the process of making them look like new. The strainer is probably Groco, the rudder mount Buck Algonquin. All these parts are still available.

The appearance of these parts would lead me to worry about the general maintenance of the entire boat. However, if this is all your surveyor found--and if he did his job properly--then you may have found a gem!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Some green tarnish on bronze is normal but this is a lot more than just tarnish. My genset strainer isn't quite as bad but I m replacing it next haul out along with the sea cock

Same with the rudder gland. At the very least it should be disassembled and inspected
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I certainly intend to address them, would you trust them in this condition for a 600 mile run?

I wouldn't trust them except to move the boat from the slip in the marina to the haul-out dock in the same marina! But I'm anal...and becoming more so as I get older!

Which is one reason I'm no longer a boater/Hatt owner (vacating the boat today, driving away tomorrow)!

As has been stated, it seems unlikely that with fittings looking that bad, that there aren't other issues that need immediate attention. It's difficult to believe that an owner would ignore something like that but maintain everything else to a high standard.

OTOH, as noted, if that's REALLY the only thing wrong with the boat and the price was right, as the folks from OZ would say, "Good on 'ya!"
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

All b.s. aside how can we be asked to judge the condition of tyem under the corrosion from a picture?

If there's doubt, pull them out. Don't ask for permission to take a 600 mile trip from us. Listen to the surveyor and do what's necessary BEFORE the trip.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

At least clean then to see the actual component, nobody can assess the condition behind that mess.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY