Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: How would YOU address these and how immediate?

I'd replace them. By the time you clean them up you'll have spent more in your time. Soraht
    Y
    Spray the new ones with corrosions

The rudder gland has been messed with because there's stainless nylock nuts on the hull bolts and I think also on the packing gland bolts. Also the green ground wire looks new and appears to be undersized, heat shrink connector should have been used. What does the other rudder port look like?
    Wouldn't trust that strainer at all, something else must be going on there besides just neglect. When you get it out of the water don't be scared to use the torch to get things apart, I like the gas in the yellow can.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I would question other areas as well. If an owner doesn't maintain the rudders and strainers I would wonder how often he changed oil, coolant, transmission fluid etc. The others are right, replace them to be safe.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

4. Re: How would YOU address these and how immediate?

The rudder stuffing box may need a closer inspection. It doesn't appear to be leaking, but you have to wonder about the condition of the shaft packing and the cutlass bearings since it hasn't been touched in a long time. If its been sitting for a while you would probably loosen it up a bit on a run that long and it may start leaking. Also, I would look at the condition of the box to hull mounting hardware and the mounting studs and nuts for the packing seal. If those are giving way you would be in a bad position offshore.

On the strainer I would check if the valve is working and if so I would run it.

We did every single strainer (this was a major job) / through hull / valve on our boat about 4 years ago. They were in very poor condition. That said though the boat made it from California to Washington without an issue in that condition.

Have you looked at the shaft stuffing boxes as well? I'm curious what condition they are in. That is another area to look at.

5. Re: How would YOU address these and how immediate?

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I would question other areas as well. If an owner doesn't maintain the rudders and strainers I would wonder how often he changed oil, coolant, transmission fluid etc. The others are right, replace them to be safe.
    I think from a purchase decision standpoint this is spot on. I would want to see maintenance logs and that sort of thing to know what I am getting into. At the end of the day though a lot of us are working on boats that are 30+ years old so there is always going to be some issues. The boats that were /are *that* bad I would expect are no longer functioning. Then again we all have a few of those questionable boats in the marina.

6. Re: How would YOU address these and how immediate?

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    At least clean then to see the actual component, nobody can assess the condition behind that mess.
    Good advice. Particularly do this on the fasteners for a better look.

You ought to clean the corrosion off and have a better look. A mild acid like vinegar or lemon juice will work. At the least, check the packing in the glands and refresh if needed. These can begin to leak pretty fast if the seal is being helped by the corrosion. It's easy to add/refresh the gland packing. Do the ball valves work? If so, you can close and clean strainers in the water and see if they can seal back up. If you loose the seal on a strainer underway you will start sucking air.... not good.

Bobk

As to making a 600 mile run, the question is where? In the ICW where help is easily available, maybe. Off shore, no I would not. Where is the boat now?

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Sorry you didn't get the answer you were looking for. Thought about responding because I bought a boat and did a long trip early on and maybe had some insight. But given your post...have a nice trip. I hope it works out for you.
    I read the complete post and didn't see anything or anyone doing or saying anything that would be considered non helpful. I'm sure with language like this Doug will block this guy. I'm sure he will be better off not listening to anyone who can help.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Such a nice guy
    Last edited by Seapig100; 06-25-2017 at 07:01 AM.