Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rolls battery maintenance

I have 5 year old Rolls. Did an SP gravity test and found one of the 8 volt batteries has two cells that are at the red marks. All other cells are low green or high white marks. Anything I can do to bring the red ones back?

Re: Rolls battery maintenance

Call the Rolls tech rep, Steve Higgins. 206-790-5840. He's in the Pacific time zone.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

Can't better the reply already given but in the interest of conversation, according to the Battery University at least that one battery is history? " Experts recommend equalizing services once a month to once or twice a year. A better method is to apply a fully saturated charge and then compare the specific gravity readings (SG) on the individual cells of a flooded lead acid battery with a hydrometer. Only apply equalization if the SG difference between the cells is 0.030." Best wishes Craig

The rolls site has very specific instructions on battery care and maintenance. http://rollsbattery.com/technical-resources/

I run the equalize charge on my Rolls once or twice per season. In the past two years, I have also been worried about them getting to their end of life. Every time I equalize, I seem to renew them for another 6 months or so.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I run the equalize charge on my Rolls once or twice per season. In the past two years, I have also been worried about them getting to their end of life. Every time I equalize, I seem to renew them for another 6 months or so.
    Hi SKYCHENEY i have the Rolls batteries and would like to know how i EQUALIZE them i have never done that that i know of....they are my house batteries ...i have owned the boat for over 3 yrs and they came with the boat i don't know how old they are....they are my house bank.... or if the PO ever did that
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

I run the equalize charge on my Rolls once or twice per season.
    What charger do you have?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by kjcampos View Post
    Hi SKYCHENEY i have the Rolls batteries and would like to know how i EQUALIZE them i have never done that that i know of....they are my house batteries ...i have owned the boat for over 3 yrs and they came with the boat i don't know how old they are....they are my house bank.... or if the PO ever did that
    Most smart chargers have an equalize function. My Outback will take them up to 40v for 2 hours to boil the sulfate off of the plates.

If you don't have a smart charger, you can use a 12v portable charger on an 8v battery. Call Rolls and they will tell you how to monitor that. You will need to test the specific gravity of each cell to determine when the equalize is complete if you use that method.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I think you can, if you have a dumb charger, put it in manual and monitor. Google Deka battery maintenance for their procedure if you have them.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Most smart chargers have an equalize function. My Outback will take them up to 40v for 2 hours to boil the sulfate off of the plates.

If you don't have a smart charger, you can use a 12v portable charger on an 8v battery. Call Rolls and they will tell you how to monitor that. You will need to test the specific gravity of each cell to determine when the equalize is complete if you use that method.
    Hi SKYCHENEY i have a SENTRY charger do they have the EQUALIZE function?
    Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II