Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Training

Re: Training

There used to be a computer hands-on type of course called BoatMaster. It allowed you to enter your boat parameters (size, draft, power etc.) and sea/current/wind conditions and practice what ever maneuver you wish on the computer. I just looked for it under that title and didn't see it, but I do have the PDF for it which by it self might be useful. If you want it, send me your email address via PM.

I'll second the others in that the bigger the boat, the easier it is to handle.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    There used to be a computer hands-on type of course called BoatMaster. It allowed you to enter your boat parameters (size, draft, power etc.) and sea/current/wind conditions and practice what ever maneuver you wish on the computer. I just looked for it under that title and didn't see it, but I do have the PDF for it which by it self might be useful. If you want it, send me your email address via PM.

I'll second the others in that the bigger the boat, the easier it is to handle.

Bobk
    http://download.cnet.com/BoatMaster/...-75181259.html

Just my 2 cents as a long-time outboard/new twin screw "big" boat driver.The biggest difference for me from a mid-size outboard to a bigger boat is windage. In calm water and still air, the big boat is actually easier to drive in almost any situation than the outboard. In a 15 knot wind, think again; the bay boat just doesn't react as much, or develop as much momentum when it does. Study Chapman, and practice using spring lines. If The Admiral is your deckhand, practice and agree on commands before you need them in a tight spot. Good luck, you'll love the boat.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

The real advantage with handling big boats is that the bigger the boat the slower things happen, so you have time to think about it before reacting.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Big boats hit harder as they have mass behind them.

Panic is the biggest issue I've seen over the years.

The first 1000 dockings are the toughest. After that they get easier.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Big boats hit harder as they have mass behind them.
    You bet, there aren't any small mistakes lol.

Panic is the biggest issue I've seen over the years.
    The slower reaction time of heavier boats helps on this somewhat.

As a small child in a blue water sailing family I learned to handle heavy, single screw full displacement offshore sailboats. They are VERY un-handy around the dock, requiring you to think through your plan in advance, and we had big boats, up to 70'. I was expected to handle the boat just like everyone else, even at less than ten years old. It's just the way it was in my family....... the best advice my dad gave me then was
    "Never move a boat near the dock faster than you're willing to hit it"
    Last edited by luckydave215; 06-25-2017 at 10:21 AM.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

All good advice. Probably it would be useful to get an experienced captain to spend some time with you and your boat, helping you get used to it. That way, when you are taking the boat out or putting her back in the slip, it won't be the first time you're doing it.

And keep in mind you don't have to get good at running all boats. Just the one you own.

Computer simulations are good at showing you WHY boats do what they do, but nothing substitutes for experience at the wheel of your own boat, to see how she feels and how the controls feel.

I have not spent a lot of time running 53MYs- maybe five or six hours total. I CAN tell you that in my limited experience the thing that I recall most clearly is the lag when you advance the throttles- and nothing happens until the DDs wake up and spool up a bit. It's a LONG 2-3 seconds....
    Last edited by jim rosenthal; 06-25-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Computer simulations are good at showing you WHY boats do what they do, but nothing substitutes for experience at the wheel of your own boat, to see how she feels and how the controls feel.

I have not spent a lot of time running 53MYs- maybe five or six hours total. I CAN tell you that in my limited experience the thing that I recall most clearly is the lag when you advance the throttles- and nothing happens until the DDs wake up and spool up a bit. It's a LONG 2-3 seconds....
    Jim, X2 on computer simulations. My Hatt is my second twin screw boat. Before it I had 4000-5000 hours on single screw trawlers and I forgot what I learned many years earlier. The simulator quickly refreshed me on how to maneuver with twins and would certainly help a new owner to under stand the principals before getting behind the wheel for practice.

The two-three second shift response may well be the result of a transmission problem. Are pressures high enough, seals good etc. Been there done that. Now after engaging, the 48MY jumps when gears are engaged at idle.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Now after engaging, the 48MY jumps when gears are engaged at idle.

Bobk
    I was fortunate to be able to drive a couple of large twin screw boats early in life. Came back to it in the '90s and took 20 years off until '15. It comes back pretty fast.

I continue to struggle with one thing on a not infrequent basis. I really dislike my Glendinning combination shift/throttle controls (1st gen.). Oh it's top quality stuff for sure, and their customer service is top drawer. There is just not enough detent in the controls when shifting. Actually, there are three detents per side: One for neutral and one each for in-gear idle fwd and reverse. I talked to Glendinning last year; it is pretty much what it is. I've painted a red stripe across the shifter housing between the handles in '15. Even so, I still have to physically look down or sometimes I'm in gear when I think I'm in neutral. That two seconds before you get a response to your correction can get your sweat pumps up to max. Gonna have to do something further to make the gear selection more obvious. My attention span is getting shorter, and I didn't have all that much to begin with.

I thought about attaching an indicator tab to the inside of each shifter, but the housing is sort of a flattened triangle and the arc of the handle runs into the housing as the throttles are advanced. Anyone have any insight into this short of hiring a lee helmsman?

Finally a comment on docking commands and ADMIRALS as deckhands: Nah, I'm in deep enough on that one already.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Jim, are you talking about a lag on the throttles or the trannies? I've ne ER seen a lag on the throttles, the DD will rev up right away even though you rarely need to rev them up when docking. It helps sometimes but the torque at idle is pretty big. Eve the delay is when shifting forward, it's almost always due to low oil vêle in the Allison gear. So many owners and captains forget they need to be checked running in neutral and warm. The delay never happens in reverse

Lack of tactile feed-back ne thing I don't like about electronic control especially the cat control. The distance between neutral and in gear is minimal, about an inch, making if very difficult to know you're in neutral unless you look in good conditions it's not an issue but when you need to check on line settings and fender adjustment it's easy to leave one in gear... and even at 550rpm a 1650bp c32 delivers massive clear ripping torque
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat