Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R-22 substitues for our older Systems

Has anyone successfully refilled their R22 AC Systems with either R-417a or R422d? Both are listed as direct R22 replacements with the only caveat being a slight reduction on cooling performance. Given the inaccessibility of R22, both of these substitutes appear to be readily available with R422d being offered on eBay at approx. $10/lb. Would sure help forestall the expensive upgrade of the entire boat.
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

Re: R-22 substitues for our older Systems

OK Problem solved. After MUCH research and speaking with marine AC experts, R422D will work in our original R22 systems with no modifications needed. Just follow the guidelines that call for a complete evacuation of the R22 and (if needed) a new drier then fill to approx 85-90%% of the R22 capacity and we're good to go.
    Steve (Risctaker)
    1976 53 MY SOLD
    swanie2017@outlook.com

Thanks for the info.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

A friend told me that he was paid over $400/lb for R22 that was reclaimed from systems in one of his commercial buildings. I had no idea it was going for that kind of money.

At that rate maybe you could sell the R22 in the current system and get enough to pay for a whole new system.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

$1400 for a 30 lb can.

Scary
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    A friend told me that he was paid over $400/lb for R22 that was reclaimed from systems in one of his commercial buildings. I had no idea it was going for that kind of money.

At that rate maybe you could sell the R22 in the current system and get enough to pay for a whole new system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    $1400 for a 30 lb can.

Scary
    Where you both live? It's going for 500-700 for 30lb on ebay. www.ebay.com/itm/30-lb-Sealed-R22-/322563033247

Just use propane. Yes I'm serious. Some say it even works better. I may try it on my old ice machine that needs a new TXV.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

The new blends have propanols and methane gasses that do not burn. Is there a way to make propane safe for that? Probably not.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The new blends have propanols and methane gasses that do not burn. Is there a way to make propane safe for that? Probably not.
    Would I use propane on a customers system? No.

Would I use it on my crap....sure!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Instead of buying rum in the Bahamas.... my last two 30lb cans were $115 a pop.

Be carful using propane. Apart from obvious risk it is against federal law to use in a residential system. Of course being a boat it becomes a grey area as regards residential. Ray