Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dripless Shafts / Stuffing Box

Has anyone coverted the old stuffing boxes to a dripless box? if so where you happy with the switch and was it worth the expense? With the limited research i have done it seems parts are at least $2K and then installation???

Any feedback is greatly appeciated

Joe

2. Re: Dripless Shafts / Stuffing Box

I am also interested in this conversion.

I assume that the shafts need to be pulled to do this so it probably has to be a decent amount of labor. From what I can tell the seal itself is around $500 per shaft plus the relevant tubing to plumb in the cooling water.

PSS seem to be very commonly used dripless seals. I think the type A seals that most of our boats would need are as follows: http://www.shaftseal.com/en/categori...000001/preview
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 06-20-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Re: Dripless Shafts / Stuffing Box

Been running Tides Marine shaft and rudder seals for at least 20 years, maybe 25.
    Had a pair of the "gold standard" 2-3 year old PSS seals where the face delaminated/chipped on both engines that they would not make good on. Btw, they never were run without water, etc..
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

The POZ put them on my boat and I love them. Zero water in the bilges.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

5. Re: Dripless Shafts / Stuffing Box

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Been running Tides Marine shaft and rudder seals for at least 20 years, maybe 25.
    Had a pair of the "gold standard" 2-3 year old PSS seals where the face delaminated/chipped on both engines that they would not make good on. Btw, they never were run without water, etc..
    Good to know.

To be clear...I said PSS are the gold standard based on seeing them everywhere (new boats) and not from personal good/bad experience. If there are better ones out there I'm all for it. In any event I updated my post.

I took a look and the Tides Marine shaft seals are about 600 and change per side so they are not as cheap as the PSS. I like how they are ABS/Plastic. Are they 100% plastic? Seems like a nice way to deal with corrosion.
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 06-20-2017 at 06:24 PM.

A now-defunct yard lost the bolts to my stbd muff coupling when I re-engined and replaced these with whatever bolts they had on hand. A year later I dove to check on excessive shaft vibration and found the four outer corner bolts had disintegrated, only the four inner bolts were there. For the next several years I couldn't keep that stuffing box from leaking no matter how I adjusted or tightened. I looked at dripless glands and then called--where else?--Hatteras. They told me they were using the Tides Marine seals on all their boats.

The Tides seals are special "O" rings which are held in a mount. The shaft revolves within this stationary o-ring and is lubricated by cross-fed seawater. At first I was dubious that this could withstand the wear, especially in the sandy Bahamas. The PSS seemed more logical. But after talking to people for a year and more I went with Tides. Nobody seemed to have problems with their seals. The deciding factor was that I could put two replacement seals in a keeper on the shaft and change the seals in the water. It turned out I could have two keepers, for four replacement seals on each shaft. The first original seals lasted me about 15 years with no problems, never replaced. I had to replace my strut Cutless bearings and so decided to change all the seals while the shafts were out.

I read somewhere that PSS recommends changing their hose assemblies every five (?) years. I called Tides to see if I was overdue for changing theirs. They told me their hoses were blue silicone rubber and never needed changing. Mine are now about twenty years old and seem fine. With no spring tension on the seal itself there does not appear to be much strain on the bearing portion of the seal or on the hose. I recommend them. They fixed my problem. Best of all, they don't leak!
    Last edited by Fanfare; 06-20-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    Good to know.

To be clear...I said PSS are the gold standard based on seeing them everywhere (new boats) and not from personal good/bad experience. If there are better ones out there I'm all for it.

Look at this thread from a while back. I started posted info about the various brands of shaft seals. http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...659#post304659

I suggest you read the entire thread, though.

Tides are lip seal and ride on the shaft and eventually will groove it. I didn't get new seals put on this past winter, but it's on the list for this coming winter. I plan to put two new duramax on. In the thread I give phone number of place to call to get good price. (I think around 360 for the entire assembly and $110 for a new stern tube adapter)

Going back to stuffing box was same or more than replacing the entire shaft seal system.
    Last edited by krush; 06-20-2017 at 09:55 PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Have the Tides with spare seals on shafts. They are as stated, perfect.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

9. Re: Dripless Shafts / Stuffing Box

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Look at this thread from a while back. I started posted info about the various brands of shaft seals. http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...659#post304659

I suggest you read the entire thread, though.

Tides are lip seal and ride on the shaft and eventually will groove it. I didn't get new seals put on this past winter, but it's on the list for this coming winter. I plan to put two new duramax on. In the thread I give phone number of place to call to get good price. (I think around 360 for the entire assembly and $110 for a new stern tube adapter)

Going back to stuffing box was same or more than replacing the entire shaft seal system.
    Good info. I'll give it a read. I have used the Duramax for rudder seals, but I have heard that it's not ideal for shaft seals due to heat etc. Any feedback on that?

Been running Western Pacific Trading Mouldable Packing for 14 years now I get it at West Marine install it and forget about it it goes in the stuffin box $140 for two large shafts no leaks.
    Bob