Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Dripless Shafts / Stuffing Box

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    Good info. I'll give it a read. I have used the Duramax for rudder seals, but I have heard that it's not ideal for shaft seals due to heat etc. Any feedback on that?
    Seems to be working fine on my boat. I did notice the other day a slight mist coming out of it, so I rigged a 1 gal jug around it to keep the splash off everything. On the next run, it looked like it was misting, but not even enough to drip in the bilge...weird. It's old though at least 15 years...maybe 20.

I didn't know they made rudder seals. I figured packing is fine on rudders because it can be tightened down to not leak....never seen rudder seals in person.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Tides works well, keeps a clean bilge. Put spare seals on the shaft. The only issue is that they may not be the best on a boat that doesn't get used much. Health issues have forced inactivity and the housings start to get stuck to the shafts. This is probably the exception. Also, make sure that your cooling water feeds are in good order.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I have PSS seals on my Hatteras, and except for one instance in which I didn't keep tension on the bellows on one side, they have worked perfectly. We just changed the bellows out after fifteen years. They are still fine. No complaints.