Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

SOLD....Hull No. 1....SOLD

SOLD
    The Yacht Hope
    1964 Hatteras 50 Motor Yacht Hull #1

Hope is a true classic with beautiful lines. My husband and I live on Hull #1 of the 50 ft. Hatteras Motor Yachts. We've enjoyed The Yacht Hope for over 5 years now. Reluctantly, we will be selling this lovely lady in the near future. She has served us well and we'd love to see her in the right hands...her history is beautiful. She deserves many more years of gentle care.

Since Hope was the first of the 50MYs built, she’s often the boat you see in the old pictures. She’s on the Sam’s Marine tee shirts for 50MYs, in brochures, and videos. Though we haven’t written proof, we’ve been told by Hatteras collectors and the factory alike that this is true. Here she is on the Hatteras website. http://www.hatterasyachts.com/our-story

Here is a link to Hope’s first public appearance, or so we’ve been told, in the original Hatteras video advertisement. The first half of this video is Hope.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teRr6yPOa8I

A Jack Hargrave design, Hope is a solid build. Hatteras Yachts began using fiberglass just prior to Hope’s build. Here’s a video of the factory near that time. A Hatteras hull from these years will run multiple inches thick in the aft end of the hull. No balsa core was used in Hatteras hulls until the 1980s, and even then, only above the water line. Hope’s hull is solid fiberglass. Upper decks all had balsa core which added insulation and sound barrier qualities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iZkJMAm414

Overview:
    In 1964, Hull #1 (our Hope) was made in North Carolina for a group of wealthy investors (the names were never revealed to us). They hired Captain Glenn Tatum and the boat was managed by The Yacht Hope Corporation. Her permanent slip in Ft. Lauderdale allowed for frequent and extensive trips to the Bahamas where the group would bone fish from one of the 16' runabouts stored on the roof chocks. She hosted many a politician's family and her visitor's log books go back to 1969. Those log books have kept me interested for many hours! Captain Tatum stayed with Hope for 40 years. Those that knew him referred to Hope as his “mistress”. She was loved by him and it showed. He retired when we purchased her in 2012. There wasn’t a dry eye in sight as we pulled away from the fuel docks that day. Captain Tatum was a great captain and wonderful resource for us as we learned Hope's ins and outs. Sadly, Captain Tatum passed in December. Recently, one of his daughters tracked down Hope to break the news to us and say her farewell to one of her father’s greatest loves. She had some wonderful childhood memories aboard this yacht and was gracious enough to share a bit.

Yacht Hope -prior to Capt Tatum’s passing
    “My father - Capt Glenn Tatum was her skipper from 1969 to the day she was sold back in 2010-2011. My dad is 88 this year and I've been searching for her so he could see she was ok. My mom always said "The Hope" was his mistress and it showed the way he cared for her. My parents still reside in West Palm Beach, Florida which is where the Hope spent her off season when she wasn't in the Bahamas. The owners - The Yacht Hope Corporation - were avid bone fisherman and ladies and my father was the best - knowing the islands better than the natives at times. He has a wonderful history with this Hope and the one that came before that was originally owned by Carmen and Ted Mulligan of Connecticut who met my father in Cuba. I could go on and on but know that this vessel provided many happy memories and joyful moments for my family and the corporate owners who loved my father and the memories he helped create.”
    Gilda Mitchell

Post-purchase 2012 to the present day
    We brought Hope down the waterway from Ft. Lauderdale with no issues. In the keys, we headed out Channel 5 to Hawks Channel to experience some bigger seas. The ocean was rolling 5-7 feet that day, but nearly following. Hope took it like a tank. She doesn’t bobble like a cork (our 36’ Mainship trawler did) she cuts through. You can feel her weight and power in the water...she’s easy to control, responsive but not over-reactive, stable, and not influenced by wind (fairly low profile for a motor yacht combined with a heavy hull design).

Aesthetically, Hope was in need. Immediately after purchase, we replaced all the carpet in the forward, mid, and master staterooms with a waterproof floating vinyl wood flooring. The cabinetry and trim in the master stateroom was painted. Walls in the midship stateroom were given a fresh coat of paint (even under the mattresses got new paint). New lighting was installed in the master. All heads were painted and wallpapered. The forward stateroom was painted. Exterior railings and ladder was stripped down to raw wood and then brought up to a beautiful shine with Seakins. The bright work gets a gentle sanding and fresh coat once a year. All new smoke and carbon monoxide detectors were installed. A 25 gallon holding tank was added to the forward head. All new hoses were installed. A new deck fitting was installed for pump outs.

Mechanically, she was perfectly sound when we purchased her in Ft. Lauderdale. Captain Tatum’s full time job was to keep Hope running perfectly. He did just that. She had at least one spare of EVERY part imaginable on board. Most are still sitting in their little white boxes stowed neatly, unused. There are enough filters on board to last years with the way we run her. The engines are run monthly, put in gear, and shaft glands checked for appropriate drippage. They’ve never hesitated to start. We've traveled on her a little, weekend trips a few times a year.
    The larger generator will run all AC units and more. The smaller genset will only run a couple AC units (depending on the BTU combination) and lights. You have to manage your power consumption more with the small genset. We treat it like there’s a winter genset (no AC running) and a summer genset (all ACs running). They are not designed to both be run at the same time. A blower system pushes fresh air into the genset compartment and pulls air out at the same time. This results in more efficient running as the generators always have the proper amount of oxygen for firing.

The air conditioning units have been maintained properly. New hoses were installed on all 5 Crusair units in 2016. The units are flushed regularly and have no gas leaks. The smallest of the units, a spare in the midship stateroom, needs a new compressor. The master stateroom AC is ducted into the midship, so we never saw the point in using the midship AC. The 4 other big units keep us very cool even in late summer in Key West.

The windows in the salon were tinted to cut down on the intense tropical sun. Both shower box bilge pumps, port and starboard engine bilge pumps, forward bilge pump (generator room) and aft bilge pump (master stateroom) are kept in working order and are tested regularly.

In 2015, the galley headliner was removed, insulation and new wiring was completed before replacing the headliner. New 12V and 110V light fixtures were installed in the galley. Shortly after, the galley was completely remodeled. The dinette was removed to add a breakfast bar and a custom built in buffet storage cabinet (often used for meal prep and coffee bar). The stove was removed and replaced with a built in dishwasher and induction stove top with a convection oven/microwave hood and ventilation. The new sink is a stainless steel deep sink, the largest that would fit the space. A wine cooler was added beside the refrigerator. All new custom cabinet doors were added and new custom cabinetry where needed.

In June of 2014, Hope was hauled out for extensive maintenance. She was on the hard for 2 weeks and all underwater parts were replaced...the hull is like new. All thru hulls, seacocks, and sea strainers were replaced. New sea strainers were installed for the air conditioning system and the generators. The bottom was sanded, coated with interprotect, and then 2 coats of bottom paint was added. A third coat of bottom paint was added to the waterline. The entire boat was sanded from the rub rails up in preparation for new AwlGrip paint. An out of water survey was done at this time by Reef Perkins of Key West, FL.

July 2014, AwlGrip was applied to all decks and house above the rub rails. Non-skid grit was added in application to all walkways. The entire roof received 2 coats of AwlGrip summer 2016 with lots of non-skid grit added for safety. The swim platform got the same treatment. All 4 mounted deck boxes received 1 coat of AwlGrip as well.

The midship and aft heads were removed (no place for a holding tank which made us illegal in Key West...plumbing is all brand new, but thru hulls closed and hoses capped) and we installed a composting head (WONDERFUL, odorless, and most importantly legal in protected keys waters). I wish all boats had composting heads.

In 2016, new phifertex plus custom window covers were made for the salon windows, windshield, and galley windows. New curtains were made for the galley, salon french doors, and master stateroom. The aft deck phifertex was modified to accommodate isinglass for the best of both worlds. The aft deck has good ventilation, shade, and still protects from most rain. New furniture was purchased for the aft deck.

The midship stateroom was modified to act as a walk-in closet and dressing room. Bunks are still there, the space was just made to be more useful for long term life aboard, but can easily be converted back with the simple addition of a mattress. New LED lighting, and a large dressing mirror was installed in the midship at this time.

Most recently, the salon floor was replaced with laminate flooring that ends at the bottom step to the galley. Clear grip tape was added to all the steps for safety. All new furniture was purchased for the salon. A leather electric recliner, leather reclining loveseat, wooden side table, wooden storage side table, 2 small fold away chairs for guests, and a wooden small buffet cabinet were added to the space. New 12V and 110V lighting was installed. New LED strip lighting was installed behind the wood valances. A new surround sound speaker system was installed.

Hope is ready for her next new adventure.

Photos are in my Album. I cant figure out how to add the album the this post.
    Here is a link to my Album on Flickr
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/123992672@N08/5X8ro4

Last edited by my50hatteras; 07-13-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Re: F/S......Hull No.1......1964 50MY......$72,999

Bump.....anyone have friends that want a Hat?

Sold

Hull No. 1 just sold....She now has her third owner in 53 years.

Re: F/S......Hull No.1......1964 50MY......$72,999

Well, with luck they will become a member here and post something about her further travels. Thank you for your contributions.