Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: OPINIONS REQUESTED: Co2 Fire System Inspection / Re-certification

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    The previous owner of our 53 told me that he twice had the system activated by visiting grandchildren pulling the manual handle. From that point on, whenever his grandchildren came aboard, he unscrewed the head and pulled the valve partially out so the firing pin could not hit the bottle release. He screwed it back in when they left.

He said that when the bottle fired, it sounded like a jet plane was landing ON the boat.
    Grandkids... brings back memories. I used to cover the manual release handle with a home made piece of plastic that I screwed over the handle fixture when the youngest was aboard. Another time one grand kid unscrewed the pump handle on a manual head and the piston fell back into the cylinder requiring a disassembly. The second time he did it that day, he had to "help" fix it. Then there was the time he activated the autopilot while in the slip and I could not steer the boat (single screw) as I backed out. Good old days!

Bobk

I ve been looking at this since my CO2 system needs to be certified and likely to fail due to rust. I also have to question the integrity of almost 50 year old plumbing

On the 53MY we re lucky to have two engine rooms and a separate genny room so it seems to me that having a single all or nothing system isn't the best setup. I ve just ordered three fireboys with three shut down modules. A little more $ than the single CO2 system but no plumbing and if a fire starts in one ER it won't kill the other engine... or a problem in the the genny room won't shut down the engines possibly at the wrong time
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I ve been looking at this since my CO2 system needs to be certified and likely to fail due to rust. I also have to question the integrity of almost 50 year old plumbing

On the 53MY we re lucky to have two engine rooms and a separate genny room so it seems to me that having a single all or nothing system isn't the best setup. I ve just ordered three fireboys with three shut down modules. A little more $ than the single CO2 system but no plumbing and if a fire starts in one ER it won't kill the other engine... or a problem in the the genny room won't shut down the engines possibly at the wrong time
    And when it comes time for service you will not need a team to help you get the cylinders off the boat.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY