Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bad Battery killing charger(s)??

So, I replaced two 5.5 year old 8D's on 6/2/17. On 6/7/17- Charles 60 amp charger goes on the fritz and has no output on that (new) bank, remove it and send it out for repair. Generator which was running last weekend now has no charge output. Manual charger used on the 8d's brings one up to normal voltage and the other after charging 12 hours at 15 A only to 8.87V. I contend the new battery has a short and has caused all these charging problems, the battery dealer says no, what do the experts say? ..............................Pat

Re: Bad Battery killing charger(s)??

Cant wait to see what comes of this. I have my opinion but I too will wait to read what the pro 's write.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Does the failing battery become warm while charging? Can you see that the plates are not deformed?

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    I contend the new battery has a short and has caused all these charging problems, the battery dealer says no, what do the experts say? ..............................Pat
    IMO you are probably correct. But convincing the battery supplier that it was bad on delivery will be difficult. They will probably contend that if the cell IS bad, you somehow damaged it - dropped the battery, overcharged it, etc.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

well I got two new batteries (gratis) and have installed them with a new charger and all is well 24 hours later. To answer the previous question at 15amp charge I could not detect the battery getting hot while charging. I had it on charge for 14 hours and it had an immediate voltage of 8.85, by the time I got it to the battery shop it was 4.72 . My theory is the battery was f 'd inside and caused the 60 A Charles 5000 to bite the dust as well as my generator alternator.....Pat

Doesn't anyone make some sort of an electrical one way device to prevent "back flow". The thought of a bad battery wrecking my charger and generator is very disconcerting....and costly.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    well I got two new batteries (gratis) and have installed them with a new charger and all is well 24 hours later. To answer the previous question at 15amp charge I could not detect the battery getting hot while charging. I had it on charge for 14 hours and it had an immediate voltage of 8.85, by the time I got it to the battery shop it was 4.72 . My theory is the battery was f 'd inside and caused the 60 A Charles 5000 to bite the dust as well as my generator alternator.....Pat
    Did the fuse not blow?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Generator and charger failures may be coincidental, they both should have protected themselves from overload. Fine print in battery warranty may exclude anything other than the battery. Hope it goes well.

As far as fuses go when I was replacing a lot of chargers and inverter/charges in Puerto Vallarta, I found more than once a charger that was completely fried from a short or a lose electrical cord and when I opened them up they would have burned circuit boards and wires but any fuses inside would not have blown, makes you wonder what they were there for. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Every charger leg should be fused in the line to the battery.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.