Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Heat exchanger cleaning...

Opening it up cleans the other side too. You can't just clean the seawater side. Residue on the freshwater side is just as bad for cooling.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

So I assume that if plan A (remove to clean) and plan B (circulate entire system) were both done we would have a perfect job. Actually it really makes sense as Scott and Dan both made excellent points.

Walt

If you pull the HE and drop it into the acid, you are cleaning both the RW and coolant passages. That does NOT happen with the in-place cleaning which only cleans the RW side. One of the reasons for the oxalic acid per DD is that it adds effectiveness on deposits that can form in the coolant passages.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    If you pull the HE and drop it into the acid, you are cleaning both the RW and coolant passages. That does NOT happen with the in-place cleaning which only cleans the RW side. One of the reasons for the oxalic acid per DD is that it adds effectiveness on deposits that can form in the coolant passages.
    Radiator flush, Detroit sells it along with a gazillion others, takes care of the freshwater side. Either way you do it is what's best for you. Inplace cleaning and flushing every other year keeps my temps in the green.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I saw an original post years ago, I believe from a guy in New Zealand with 692s with cleaned is exchangers while the were mounted to the engine by putting a pipe fitting and gate valve in the inlet zinc bung and filling the exchanger with mutiatic mix. He let sit for a few minute then clicked the gate vale that he used to enter the acid and started the engine to flush the acrid out through the exhaust. This post had great pics also. Anyone know how I can find have searched a lot no luck.

My mechanic has always used the DD muratic acid solution. I asked him to use Barnacle Buster last time. He was very impressed. Pricey but after his impression we will continue to use it.
    Attached Images
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible