Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Navy crash and blow boaters

Wow, huge contrast in bridge operations. Goes from a crowded noisy almost chaotic carrier bridge to a quite controlled bridge on the merchant ship. Now, I understand how the Navy has accidents in crowded seaways.

I didn't read all of the responses so if this was already stated please disregard.

If a war ship can't keep track of a commercial ship broadcasting it's position how on earth could it manage in battle??
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

It is hard to know where to begin!

Iwo Jima entering NY. That bridge scene is totally wrong. Sailors shoulder-to-shoulder, most of them looky-loos? Seems that "fleet week" festivities began early. Captain needs to lose his command.

Navy does not squak AIS when in non-combat waters? Looks like an arrogant policy to me. What are we afraid of?

On the collision. If all electronics on both ships were shut off, this still should not occur. Navy lookout on stbd wing of bridge has a peloris to use. There was no visibility issue.

It is ok for Captain to get rest! Krush's 1st link guy (with obvious bias) seemed to imply that the container ship Captain never takes a break, and only 2 guys on bridge at night, in busy waters is actually a good thing.

Apples/oranges. Navy Captain has 200 men available. Merchant vessel has 20. Are we actually suggesting that the Destroyer should be operated the same as a container ship. Should both be cloning the Captain of a 53' hatteras my? I don't think so.

Navy looks bad on this incident for sure. Heads will roll-would not be surprised if Pac Fleet head admiral loses his job.

Damage looks as bad as USS Cole. We are looking at return to USA on top of heavy-lift ship and 2+ years to rebuild.

Gary

How about the Navy's new 13 billion dollar carrier USS FORD that was slightly over budget. Have to wonder how many sailors will be working that bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by GaryNW View Post
    It is hard to know where to begin!

Iwo Jima entering NY. That bridge scene is totally wrong. Sailors shoulder-to-shoulder, most of them looky-loos? Seems that "fleet week" festivities began early. Captain needs to lose his command.

Navy does not squak AIS when in non-combat waters? Looks like an arrogant policy to me. What are we afraid of?
    On these two points only,... Unless you're aware of the function of every person on that bridge and know for sure that there are extra people just visiting I don't see how you can say that. The bridge of a warship is a totally different environment than a cargo ship and it's just not a valid comparison.

And no it's not arrogant not to advertise the location of every ship in our fleet to potential adversaries. Makes absolutely perfect sense to me.

Other than that I think we're on the same page.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I see no reason for our Navy to broadcast AIS which would alert all their positions. Not sending AIS put more responsibility on the Navy to navigate on the defense. The container ship likely saw them on the radar and maintained their course thinking the other ship would alter course if need be. It is supposed to work that way. With the electronics on those war ships nothing should go unnoticed and surely will alert a collision course. Should not be hard to determine how the collision happened. Must have been a low speed collision or the navy ship would have been cut in half or rolled over.
    Last edited by Tinman; 06-24-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Guess the Navy can't get a break. https://www.yahoo.com/news/navy-disc...155346473.html

94,000 gallons of fuel spilled over 16 hours?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Guess the Navy can't get a break. https://www.yahoo.com/news/navy-disc...155346473.html

94,000 gallons of fuel spilled over 16 hours?
    I could not help but notice a "civilian service employee potential action and may be transferred to another job"! The sailor's careers may be over but those untouchable civilian service employees either get a transfer, promotion, or a great retirement.

I can understand why the captain and exec would lose their jobs on the destroyer (when the USS Coral Sea hit something years back, they sacked the command tier on the ship) but why would the CINCPAC lose HIS job?

One of my close friends, Annapolis grad, is exiting the USN at captain and decided not to screen for flag. No guarantee of making it to flag if he HAD screened for it, but I think he got tired of staying awake at night wondering which of the guys in his command was going to sink him. The irony is that it never happened- he did great all the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I can understand why the captain and exec would lose their jobs on the destroyer (when the USS Coral Sea hit something years back, they sacked the command tier on the ship) but why would the CINCPAC lose HIS job?

One of my close friends, Annapolis grad, is exiting the USN at captain and decided not to screen for flag. No guarantee of making it to flag if he HAD screened for it, but I think he got tired of staying awake at night wondering which of the guys in his command was going to sink him. The irony is that it never happened- he did great all the way up.
    Gee, sounds like why I got out of corporate and opened a pharmacy with my wife. I got tired of seeing all the gratuitous "sport screwing" in the ivory towers.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau