Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Navy crash and blow boaters

Quote Originally Posted by GaryNW View Post
    There is sure a lot of brutal finger-pointing here. Can we wait for the investigation? At least 3 agencies will do one.
    While I cannot speak to todays navy some 50 years ago I was a radarman on a destroyer and yeah we stopped at Yokuska on the way to Vietnam.
    1) a radarman in CIC was always assigned the "scope". When you had the duty, you did not leave the scope for even 5 seconds. Hell, the butt-kit was literally bolted to the side of the console!So this guy was connected to another RD on the bridge who stalked the OD. Nine months of 'A' school was certainly sufficient to train about collision course and CPA.Back then we would use a grease pencil to extend the "pecker trail" to the center of the scope. You had your grease pencil, a rag and a cig in your mouth.
    2} Then, as now, the radar was watched 24/7 even when 1000 mile from nowhere. Merchantmen and yes, 95000 ton cruise ships with 5000 soles aboard, do not post a constant radar watch.
    3) Something went real wrong here-even assuming the container ship did a wild 180. This class of destroyer can stop in it's own length at flank speed!

USS Braine, DD630, Constellation battle group-if you care. Geez, I am getting old.

Gary
    Thank you for your service Sir. My Dad was on the the John W. Thomason (DD-760), served in the Korean War. Sailors back then were made of steel. I was in the Navy from 1980-1984. We were tough but nothing like you guys. We even had airconditioning on my ship. There's no excuse for this collision to happen. The military has transformed into something like the boy scouts. My buddies ship went on a West Pac with 50 women onboard. 25 women got pregnant on the trip. You dont hear about that on the news. Its politically incorrect to talk about. Who knows what they were doing on the bridge tracking that ship. Prolly some young officer of the deck was on duty playing a game on his iphone
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Here is bridge audio from another navy ship that crashed into a large merchant ship: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=20200
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Sounds like the guy holding the wheel was the only one who knew what was going on.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

"The USS Fitzgerald was damaged on the right side — the starboard side — and maritime law requires ships to give way to the vessel on their starboard side. When asked about this Sunday, the Seventh Fleet commander, Vice Admiral Joseph Aucoin, declined to answer."
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

My experience with industrial (mainly chemical) accidents is it usually takes two things gone wrong to cause an accident, Two things done wrong at the same time. This was also true for an explosion in PR that leveled a building with lots of lost lives. That one had three issues. I suspect this accident will be relatively easy to figure out, but we may never hear the results. Very sad that so many lost their lives over a totally avoidable situation..... avoidable in the usual course of events. Now if this was an act of terrorism ....

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    "The USS Fitzgerald was damaged on the right side — the starboard side — and maritime law requires ships to give way to the vessel on their starboard side. When asked about this Sunday, the Seventh Fleet commander, Vice Admiral Joseph Aucoin, declined to answer."
    Exactly...if the Fitzgerald had gave way or altered course... just saying.

The USS Fitzgerald Is At Fault. This Is Why.

June 19, 2017 by John Konrad

http://gcaptain.com/uss-fitzgerald-fault/

Good article. The way I see it when a ship under way does not comply with rules of the road there is a potential for collision.

Interesting videos which indeed show a sharp contrast. Way too many bodies on the carrier bridge, way too many people talking and relaying informations and orders Not a problem coming in NY Harbour where everybody will stay out of the way but obviously not very efficient at night in busy shipping lanes
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat