Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Flooring project

Looks fantastic. Is the new flooring teak/holly or a composite material? If wood, did you buy it precut and glued? The vapor layer.. this is to stop smell?

I see you extended the genset hatch. My number #1 Kohler genset is broken and needs to be removed. I have always wondered if the extended hatch is actually wide enough?

I too never knew about the hatches under the corridor carpet. There must be a hatch for the water tank under the carpet at the entrance to the master stateroom.

There is also a huge space area on port side opposite where you are installing desk. I found it last week when replacing the aircon blower.

That's the original genset hatch. Problematic too as it's all foam filled fiberglass. I'll have to glue, using epoxy resin, the flooring material to the hatch. I'm using 12mm teak and Holly veneer plywood with solid teak stock for the margin strips. The silicone vapor barrier just protects the plywood from moisture infiltrate from the backside, and possible swelling or movement. It's a great product and stiffens the floor as well as covering substrate irregularities.

Didn't get much done today. The landing stateroom will only take one piece, plus closet. Bad news, 2 more weeks on the cherry stair treads. I'm ready to color this project done.
    Attached Images

Couple of pieces left to do in the bow stateroom... Then poly time.
    Attached Images

1st coat to the face side. I've seen others use a water based poly, but I like the oil based. It adds a little color and a great compliment to the Aframoso.
    Attached Images

Fabulous
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Looks awesome, we did ours a while back. The sheet material is awesome unless your trying to lay it in an area that has some hull curvature, fun cuts and attempts. We're tackling all now wallpaper now.

Since I used a silicone vapor barrier under the sheeting, I used it as a template for the complex cuts. I was impressed how square the existing carpentry was. The longest run was out about 1/4 inch in 12 feet! Not sure why Hatteras didn't hinge the generator room access hatch, but we are correcting that and adding gas struts.
    Attached Images

Oh wow, looks really great. Please tell us about the hinges???
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Ipe is a good hardwood alternative for the stair treads. You have to pick and choose from the stack for color but it looks good with teak and afromosia. Agree on NOT using the water based finish. I made that mistake only once.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"