Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hull survey/seatrial tomorrow

Engine survey reported engines/trannys "like new" as far as compression on all cyls of both engines/wear/oil/etc.

We'll have quite the crowd (for us) on the boat for the sea trial - the two of us, the potential buyers (two), the engine surveyor, the boat surveyor, and Eric (broker). Glad it's not a party; we couldn't afford all the food/drink!

Yeah, I know some folks here have talked about having 30+ friends on a 53 MY but we don't even KNOW 30 people, let alone have 30 friends!

We will break out some champagne if all goes well (not for anybody else, just me and the Admiral)...

Compression for all Cyls was in the 465-475 range. Brand new spec is 475.
    Last edited by MikeP; 06-12-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Hull survey/seatrial tomorrow

Pride of ownership. Congratulations 🎈
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Re: Hull survey/seatrial tomorrow

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised at the compression numbers. Although we certainly could not be called "heavy" users of the boat, we averaged about 100 hours a season over most of the time we have owned it, though considerably less than that the past two of years. Admittedly, most of the running was at hull-speed range - around 1300-1400 RPM as opposed to higher loads though we always ran it at WOT for 10-minutes each day when we were out.

We ran it at WOT for 30 minutes when we went out a couple days before the engine survey with no heating issues though the usual post-winterized barnacles on the props prevented it from getting on plane. After the power wash/haulout today planing shouldn't be a problem...but it's a boat so who knows what will actually happen?

But clearly the engines did not "wear" in any meaningful way over that period which speaks pretty well for the old DDs.

FWIW, the engine surveyor was not interested at all in the fact that the engines had been overhauled some years back. That surprised me a bit as well though, as an engine guy, it really shouldn't. All that matters is the current condition of the engine and a "rebuild" doesn't mean it was rebuilt well. Having built/rebuilt a lot of engines, one of the first thing I discovered is to ignore what somebody did previously or, better yet, ASSUME it was wrong.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"