Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

60 Hatteras E B new generator

i am looking to replace one of my 21.5 kw generators. who makes the best generator for the money?
    who has the best onan or northern lights prices.
    thanks chris

Re: 60 Hatteras E B new generator

Quote Originally Posted by hat45 View Post
    i am looking to replace one of my 21.5 kw generators. Who makes the best generator for the money?
    Who has the best onan or northern lights prices.
    Thanks chris
    get up with roger worthington at koler... Some of the guys here have his number

I would not get an onan. Northern lights absolutely. Westebeke too. But onan? Ohno!

On the boat i used to run i put about 6 or 7000 hours on each NL 20s in 8 years. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of safety shut downs.

Compare that to the Ohno 27.5 on the boat i run now. I ve had twice has many shut downs in a year and they only have 2500 hours each. Sensors, impellers, etc. I even had to replace both dipsticks which broke for no reasons... then when I ordered a spare raw water pump it turned out onan switched pumps and reduced the hose size from 1 1/4 to 1". Haven't tried it yet but I can't imagine it a going to makenthem quieter and they re louder than the NL ...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Members here have had excellent luck with Northern Lights, Westerbeke, Kohler, Norpro.

Onans are not in particularly good repute these days, and it appears the general word is to avoid buying one. As the owner of Onans in the past, I was astonished at parts prices for them, said parts only available through their dealers, who gouged customers brutally on the prices.

As an Onan example..put a new circulating pump on my MDL4 a few years ago... Part only, over $900 bucks. Entire new Kohler would have been less than 15k

Dottieshusband,

Could you please take photos of the removal of the old genset. My old Kohler 20kva needs to come out too.

Also a PO installed a Phasor 20KVA about 12 years ago on our boat. Its been faultless with 2700 hours now.

Ditto on Phasor, good gen sets, also agree with Northern Lights based on my survey experience with many boats. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I have s Kilo Pack 15, it now has 13,000 hours, I did replace the electric end about 1,000 ago. It has seen quite a reliable gen. I put about 1,000 a year on it and have had it since 241 hours.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Right, there are some boats that have KiloPak at OEM fitment, too, and overall they seem to be fine.

The two to stay away from: Onan and Fischer Panda, which are awful. They corrode from the inside out.

I have a norpro 18 in my hatt, seems that norpro parts dept has become worst in the last few years. I emailed them a parts order a week ago, no reply... called after two days, was promised a reply... nothing. Called yesterday and they Are closed for the entire week.

While the Isuzu engine and marathon electrical are good, this is not how you support your product.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat