Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post
    Right. Better than Beam for sure!

Update: Flowscan called back and gave me the updated part numbers:

4001-238-00 new p/n 233-076-00
    4001-199-01 new p/n 233-041-00
    Thanks for posting this. I have 2 of each on each engine (so that is 8 total to replace...ugh). They are 22 years old.

For some reason, the 1st damper is before the sensor on the supply side. The modern instructions say put the dampers between the engine and the sensors.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

2. Re: Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I have 2 of each on each engine (so that is 8 total to replace...ugh). They are 22 years old.

For some reason, the 1st damper is before the sensor on the supply side. The modern instructions say put the dampers between the engine and the sensors.
    No problem. I just ordered replacements.

A couple things I was told that that I forgot to mention:

1) The design of the cans was changed around the 2005 timeframe to fix problems with newer diesels.
    2) These cans are taller than the originals. Apparently they made some design changes. The old advise was to place them as high as possible in the engine room. I was told that this is no longer necessary.
    3) The cans are interchangeable , however one has a label that is upside down.

3. Re: Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post

Long story short is that we actually have 8 after all. And.....Three orders later!!! On our boat on each engine we have two up top close to the ceiling, one by the racors and the last one is right by the on engine fuel filter.

4. Re: Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post

I've got a new set of cans coming.
    What was the final word? Did this fix your vacuum problems? I have been working on getting the cans in. I found that a shaft size channel lock was required to remove the old ones as they were circa 1993 and extremely tight. I'm curious how things went on your end.

What was the final word? Did this fix your vacuum problems? I have been working on getting the cans in. I found that a shaft size channel lock was required to remove the old ones as they were circa 1993 and extremely tight. I'm curious how things went on your end.
    Thanks for asking. I was hesitant to post until the facts were in. I just returned from a seven day cruise. I am happy to report that the issue is resolved after replacing the cans that state no maintenance or service is required but we all know now that some maintenance and service is required, at least once in a generation.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

6. Re: Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Thanks for asking. I was hesitant to post until the facts were in. I just returned from a seven day cruise. I am happy to report that the issue is resolved after replacing the cans that state no maintenance or service is required but we all know now that some maintenance and service is required, at least once in a generation.
    Glad to hear the good news. We are heading north at the end of the week and I'm hoping that our low fuel pressure issue will be resolved through this fix along with a rebuild of the Racors.

Just out of curiosity, were any of the vacuum leaks obvious around the homogenizer cans?

Just out of curiosity, were any of the vacuum leaks obvious around the homogenizer cans?
    Wasn't having vacuum leaks. Was having high vacuum after having run a tank dry last summer. I shook a lot of crap out of that first down hanging can--stuff that, technically speaking, should have never made it past any Racor ever designed. It's still a mystery how much big stuff got in that can. Maybe filters plugged in the past and tops were punched to get home--never know.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

8. Re: Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

20170710_033212941_iOS.jpg

When I mentioned that it was hard to get the old cans off....here is a picture that illustrates the rough idea of what I was talking about.

That, in of itself, is reason enough for changing.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Yup. Mine took a strap wrench and a 4' length of pipe on the handle, and crushed the can.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau