Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

Wonder why they put that on there? The service guy at Floscan was very helpful. I really like companies like Floscan (Wesmar to name another) that haven't decided to get rid of the people who answer the phone.

So, I had some vacuum (another post) on my port side fuel system. I've been through it all, but still had the problem. Before I started dissembling, I called Floscan. Kevin asked me how long since the cans had been changed.

IMG_8083.JPG

"Changed? Why Kevin, it says right there, 'NO Maintenance or Service Required'. You even capitalized 'NO'".

Every dark cloud has a silver lining is what my mom used to say--so true. It was during this conversation I first learned my ex-wives had been lying to me all along--I wasn't anal. Kevin told me that if "You (I) are anal, you might change the cans every three years." With great effort, I spun off the cans. I might not be anal, but that first can had been retaining quite a collection of stuff that wasn't classifiable as diesel fuel. In fact, it had stuff in there that in no way shape of form could have passed through any filter no matter how macro the micronage.

Being items that require NO Maintenance or Service, I didn't have any spares on the shelf. After rinsing with fuel and banging the cans on the dock a hundred times, I reassembled. The vacuum issue cut itself down to almost normal.

I've got a new set of cans coming. This time I believe I'll mark the date and hours on them so I'll know when they don't need maintenance or service the next time.

I am serious about one thing, though. They really are nice people to talk to.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 07-12-2017 at 03:59 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

2. Re: Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

Robert,

How much were the cans? I have long wondered what was inside. Is there actually a filter in there? I'm guessing that ours are probably original from the mid nineties!
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 06-13-2017 at 12:59 PM.

3. Re: Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

It looks like flowscan has the diesel dampners listed for sale here for $50 a piece:

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/accessories.php

Re: Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

Paying $45 (inclusive) for each for the blue (homogenizer-input) and black (homogenizer and pulsation damper-return) from a local dealer in Charleston. They are getting from Jerry's Marine who had them in stock. Can't seem to locate the green (pulsation damper-input) yet. But my blue can is first in line in the system and is the one that hangs down. It was where I had all the crap, so I'm hoping that will solve my problem.

From all appearances, they look like filters. I'll see about busting open the blue can when I replace it hopefully Friday or Saturday. You really got your money's worth!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Interesting thread. I had one blow out on me this past spring as I was preparing to move my boat from New Haven to Westerly, RI. Dumb luck saved me from a serious mess. Somehow I had bumped the lever on the outflow of the Racor filter to the "half off" position. When I saw this and repositioned it, I stupidly put it in the "full off" position rather than "full on". 10 minutes of idling in the slip later, I ran out of fuel and had to reprime the stbd engine. I was sitting between the engines with the secondary filter loosened so I could see when it was full. I tightened the bolt for the secondary and fired up the engine. Right at that point, the canister that hangs in a downward position blew a hole in its bottom due to internal rust, and started spraying a substantial flow of fuel into the bilge.

I shut her down and bypassed the floscan entirely so I could make the trip. If it had blown out 10 minutes later, I would have pumped 200 gal of fuel into my bilge and then run out. My system is 9 years old. I took a vise and nylon strap wrench with a 4' pipe on it to get the canisters off. Biatch of a job. You can bet I'll be replacing them every few years going forward. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Interesting thread. I had one blow out on me this past spring as I was preparing to move my boat from New Haven to Westerly, RI. Dumb luck saved me from a serious mess. Somehow I had bumped the lever on the outflow of the Racor filter to the "half off" position. When I saw this and repositioned it, I stupidly put it in the "full off" position rather than "full on". 10 minutes of idling in the slip later, I ran out of fuel and had to reprime the stbd engine. I was sitting between the engines with the secondary filter loosened so I could see when it was full. I tightened the bolt for the secondary and fired up the engine. Right at that point, the canister that hangs in a downward position blew a hole in its bottom due to internal rust, and started spraying a substantial flow of fuel into the bilge.

I shut her down and bypassed the floscan entirely so I could make the trip. If it had blown out 10 minutes later, I would have pumped 200 gal of fuel into my bilge and then run out. My system is 9 years old. I took a vise and nylon strap wrench with a 4' pipe on it to get the canisters off. Biatch of a job. You can bet I'll be replacing them every few years going forward. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.
    That's impossible. FLoscan clearly states that NO maintenance or service is required. LOL

FWIW, I have rust around the seams of a couple of my cans. Floscan's admonition seems like poor judgment especially in your case.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Rust on the inside of the cans is telling you there is water in the fuel which of course is related to the grunge in the system. The usual culprits are the O-ring reals on the fuel fills and the fuel coolers. The O-rings should be a routine maintenance item. Super cheap and easy to replace every year or two.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Rust on the inside of the cans is telling you there is water in the fuel which of course is related to the grunge in the system. The usual culprits are the O-ring reals on the fuel fills and the fuel coolers. The O-rings should be a routine maintenance item. Super cheap and easy to replace every year or two.

Bobk
    Bobk, Good point. But I suspect after nine or more years you'll end up with some water in that first can. Just look at your Racor bowls. Too bad they don't offer a drain on that one downward hanging can.

Anyway, I've been meaning to pick up some spare deck fitting o-rings; thanks for the reminder. Can you save me the trouble of figuring it out and tell me the size I need? Much appreciated. Robert
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Bobk, Good point. But I suspect after nine or more years you'll end up with some water in that first can. Just look at your Racor bowls. Too bad they don't offer a drain on that one downward hanging can.

Anyway, I've been meaning to pick up some spare deck fitting o-rings; thanks for the reminder. Can you save me the trouble of figuring it out and tell me the size I need? Much appreciated. Robert
    Robert,

Sorry, I do not have a record of the size. Bring one to NAPA or other store. They are nitrile... common rings. I have two spares aboard, but I'm not sure I can measure them accurately.

Bobk

10. Re: Doing The Required Maintenance Or Service That Isn't Required But Really Is

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Robert,

Sorry, I do not have a record of the size. Bring one to NAPA or other store. They are nitrile... common rings. I have two spares aboard, but I'm not sure I can measure them accurately.

Bobk
    I just emailed Steve to order some replacement orings and here are the sams part numbers he gave me for our 81 61 MY:

O-ring fuel. #S78840A Price $2.25 each

O-ring water #S78841B Price $2.25 each