Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Shaft size, 65C

Re: Shaft size, 65C

I never can understand why people jerk replace thru hulls for no reason. Do you really want to replace quality USA made parts for foreign made crap? Unless the boat was eaten up with electrolysis theirs no reason other than making the yard rich
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

US made through hulls are available from Groco, and Buck-Algonquin. Also I think Conbraco and Apollo are domestic, but not sure. Also keep in mind that you can overhaul the through-hulls that came in the boat- take them apart, replace any seals that are gone, and grease them and put them back in service.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Speed is a littke slow. What did she run at 1950? What wheels do you have? Mine tops out just shy of 27kts with a full tower. I think the 3 blade Radices make a difference.
    I agree the speed was down a few knots. While the bottom had just been cleaned, it's in rough shape and when we haul her I'll have a fresh bottom job done. She is supposed to have 34x36 props. I may have an inch or so taken out.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    US made through hulls are available from Groco, and Buck-Algonquin. Also I think Conbraco and Apollo are domestic, but not sure. Also keep in mind that you can overhaul the through-hulls that came in the boat- take them apart, replace any seals that are gone, and grease them and put them back in service.
    I miss spoke. I will only replace thru hulls that require it. The plan is to clean and lube them.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I never can understand why people jerk replace thru hulls for no reason. Do you really want to replace quality USA made parts for foreign made crap? Unless the boat was eaten up with electrolysis theirs no reason other than making the yard rich
    You are correct. They are frozen. So the plan is to get them operational.

Quote Originally Posted by mykim View Post
    I agree the speed was down a few knots. While the bottom had just been cleaned, it's in rough shape and when we haul her I'll have a fresh bottom job done. She is supposed to have 34x36 props. I may have an inch or so taken out.
    sounds like you have the 3 blade Radice. You'll get some vibration around 1400-1500rpms but they should smooth out after that. Fuel burn isn't terrible at a slow cruise. If you run 1700rpms you'll run about 17kts and get about .33 NMPG. I've found you'll get nearly the same economy at 1850 and around 19.5kts. I like to run 1950-2000 which will get me 21.5kts but the economy drops to about .25 NMPG. Seas don't affect performance too much until it gets pretty nasty out. The enclosed bridge can fool you. You can be running at a good clip and not realize the wind and seas have picked up. Pay attention to the wind when docking as yo don't get a real feel for it in the enclosed bridge. Congrats and best of luck with her. You're gonna love this boat!
    Jack Sardina

I just brought my 1990 65' enclosed bridge from Stuart, Fl. to Beaufort, NC. It was 550 nautical miles and we ran about 11 knots. The Gulf Stream pushed us to about 14 knots for several hours. It took 917 gallons for 1.75 gallons per mile.
    The shafts on my boat are 3 1\2" and the wheels are 38-40's.
    All went well, but I was disappointed with the boat in beam seas; even small waves got us rocking and rolling. Head seas were hardly detectable and the boat ate them up. Stern seas and quartering seas were handled well also.
    When I had the bottom done, I had the wheels balanced and trued, but still have vibration starting at around 1700 RPM.
    Other wise, a good trip in a great sea boat.

EB boats all roll bad in beam seas at slow speeds there is a lot of weight up there well above the CG
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

My 65c is open bridge. It rolls. It is a Hatt thing. My last 2 did it.

I still love this boat. I know you will love that one as well.

Please send pics, I could not find the listing.

Have a blessed week,
    Tim

They don't roll on plane. I don't think they roll any more or less than other Hatts I've been on and certainly less than many others brands. Bertrams roll like crazy when drifting or at idle and Oceans or Post don't roll that much due to the flat bottom aft. That being said, I'd rather roll around on the Bertram any day.
    Jack Sardina