Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Shaft size, 65C

Re: Shaft size, 65C

You are correct on plane or cruising, straight as an arrow and a very comfy ride. But get a fish on, or try to drift a reef, that is when you can get thrown out of the bridge, and loose stuff out of cabinets.

I have gotten to enjoy the bow thruster while drifting a reef, really assists the props keeping the bow or stern into the waves depending on wind and tide. But run down to assist in the cockpit, and she turns 90 degrees fast. Then it is back up a ladder that is pitching violently. I suppose this is why people hire captains to aid offshore fishing. Or just troll a giant spread and not worry.

It is still a blast.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post

I have gotten to enjoy the bow thruster while drifting a reef, really assists the props keeping the bow or stern into the waves depending on wind and tide. But run down to assist in the cockpit, and she turns 90 degrees fast. Then it is back up a ladder that is pitching violently. I suppose this is why people hire captains to aid offshore fishing. Or just troll a giant spread and not worry.
    You don't have cockpit controls?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    You don't have cockpit controls?
    The boat we are buying has a second set of controls outside on the port side bridge. Immense help when docking. Can control her outside and see the whole side of the boat while doing it. Have had several other Hatteras's and my only beef was the center helm. Just solved that problem with this purchase.

No cockpit controls, but I do have a Jennair grill where they would go. I have to say I do prefer the grill. I use it alot. However there is aft controls on the bridge, and I do use them when fighting a fish, or watching the anglers bottom fishing. I also have a camera in the cockpit, so I can watch them on the monitor when needed. There is better visibility at the forward controls when there are many boats on the same reef. Some anchor so you have to be cautious.

I like to anchor as well, but I am leery of the number jumpers. They like to troll around anchored boats and get GPS numbers. So I troll, get to one of my spots we found diving, if no boats around, pull lines to the rigger clips, drop down a livie, and see what is biting that day. Then back to trolling.

Tim

Stimmy,

Which motors do you have in you 65? Also is it open bridge?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    Stimmy,

Which motors do you have in you 65? Also is it open bridge?

Tim
    I have the 16V92's; big beasts in the engine room. They run well, but like fuel; we used $3500 worth in the 4 days of the Big Rock Tourrnament.
    I have the enclosed bridge, which is the reason I bought the boat; at my age, creature comforts are necessary.

Those 16v's are monsters. They sound awesome. I really wanted the open bridge, I like the wind in my face. However I have the Mtu 8v's. Four strokes so not as bad on fuel, but still thirsty. They sound like a train going slow in front of you. They have a distinct rumble.

Have a great week,
    Tim

How is the new boat coming along?

Here we are 23.5 knots, 1800 rpm, 100 gallons per hour, heading out, for some trolling and bottom fishing.

Have a great week,
    Resized_Screenshot_20170710-103654.jpg

Tim