Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Boat deposit sale pending - nice job, Eric!

Well, if we determined that we wanted to get back into boating, I guess we could just do what a former Hatt owner, and frequent contributor to this forum did last year...buy a SeaRay express Cruiser!

Incidentally, if anyone wants to rent/lease a 60 ft covered slip on Kent Island MD, I'll have one available very soon!
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Congratulations Mike. I agree with Sky Cheney (good old Hats are hard to find!)
    I just sold my 501 Chris Craft after 16 years and have very mixed emotions. Honestly, I am depressed after looking to see what is on the market.
    It took 3 weeks of unloading and storing what had accumulated on the boat that was not going with the boat, so you have your work cut out for you.
    Thinking I needed to downsize to ease the chore of cleaning and maintenance, I am now realizing that my walk in engine room was the key to at least an easier engine maintenance. The Admiral, however convinced me that keeping the 4 heads and showers and cabins was just too much. ( Didn't take much after I tried to keep them in the same condition as she was able to do!)
    I too have benefited from your posts on this site and hope you continue to contribute.
    Thankyou for sharing your expertise and experiences and good luck with your new interests.

You are right about "moving," there is a LOT of stuff on the boat, most if it seems to be clothes! As may sound familiar to other married guys on the site - I was allocated a very small portion of the master SR locker for my clothes. The Admiral's clothes occupy all other available space/drawers!

As far as missing the boat...TBH, I will miss the fact that I'm no longer an owner of a Hatteras 53MY and participating on this site. But we've been using the boat less and less the past couple of years. We went from using it several times a week for evening runs, overnight weekend raft-ups, and frequent week-long outings on the hook, including a couple of runs between the Delaware River - Long Island Sound to just 5-6 one or two overnight stays on the hook last season.

Frankly, I just don't enjoy it anymore. I spend most of the time on the boat being anal/worrying about everything functioning properly - every little stray noise/vibration/burnt out lightbulb, etc.... It's no longer fun to be out; I can't explain why - it's not as if the boat has ever been any sort of problem at all. I think the answer is similar to the answer I used to hear when asking my dad how I would know when I was ready to retire. The answer was always, "When you're ready, you'll know!" I always blew that off as not even remotely helpful but he was right. I knew when it was time to retire and I now feel that way about owning a boat.

FWIW, we really enjoyed RIDING on a friends boat last month in the UK when they took us for a little cruise around Guernsey!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Hey Mike, your comments are right on. I am retiring from the active practice of law at the end of this year. It will have been over 37 years of litigating, akin to being a prize fighter getting paid to dish out a beating. Having spent enough rounds in the ring, I said enough was enough. As for retiring from boating, I often think of my father. He boated for well over 50 years and fished the last ten or so on a three day a week basis. When he sold his Hat (61MY) and then his fishing boat, I asked him why and did he miss boating. He said he had had enough boating and did not miss it. Who knows, maybe I will be the same but for now, I am hoping to transition over to much more time on the boats following retirement.

"Well, if we determined that we wanted to get back into boating, I guess we could just do what a former Hatt owner, and frequent contributor to this forum did last year...buy a SeaRay express Cruiser!"

Hey Mike that's harsh- !

I occasionally still lurk around on the HOF And I do plan on crashing the annual Rendezvous again this year.

But congrats anyway- !!

Cheryl
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

C, I meant it as a compliment! You recognized that the 53MY Hatt was no longer the best boat to do what you wanted a boat to do and switched. A friend of mine who bought a 53 within weeks of when we did is selling it and buying a center console for the same reason - it does what he/his wife now enjoy better than the 53 does.

I apologize for coming across as being critical, I admire what you did and, if we were to continue boating, we would probably do something similar.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Cheryl, and we have never met, helped us get the perfect kitchen fixture for the galley, without a side mount the way the countertop guy said was needed.
    All from her wonderful posts on the galley redo.
    Ended up keeping a removable top for pots and pans, and added a shelf outboard of the fridge for more storage.

I would say that another brand's forum would be lucky to have her innovative skills.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Mike,
    Maybe my perspective is different since my boat is inside a heated building and out of use half of the time. Every spring I can't wait to get back out on the water. But when the leaves turn, it goes away again and I don't have to worry about her as she is safe and dry and out of the elements.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

There's a lot to be said for that, plus how slowly boats age up there in that neck of the woods. Mine isn't indoors all winter, but she is wrapped up snugly, and I think it has made a lot of difference.

Thanks for the kind words, that's really appreciated!

Mike I was kinda just joshing you -- Probably my sensitivity about crossing over the the dark side

BTW the Sea Ray owners forum has its' good points but it's not like the HOF! I still think Hatteras people are the greatest !!

Cheryl
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"