Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: 58 Tri-cabin information

What a gorgeous looking boat....kind of sounds like it's saying "take me home" in the pictures. I hope
    it looks as good up close and personal. With all that being said, due to the engine issues I think that it
    is well overpriced and you are being benevolent with only $45K reduction. A boat of that age probably
    has other issues such as electrical, plumbing, generator, air cond and so on......but it sure is pretty.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    What a gorgeous looking boat....kind of sounds like it's saying "take me home" in the pictures. I hope
    it looks as good up close and personal. With all that being said, due to the engine issues I think that it
    is well overpriced and you are being benevolent with only $45K reduction. A boat of that age probably
    has other issues such as electrical, plumbing, generator, air cond and so on......but it sure is pretty.

Walt
    Generator replaced in 2013 and only has 20 hours. She must sit at the dock a lot. AC's have been upgraded, so I would guess everything else is in good shape.

I'm surprised those engines are that tired with no more hours than that. She looks like a very well maintained boat with some nice upgrades.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I think she is overpriced and if they won't deal, wait it out. That's why you got an engine survey, to find out what was going on with them. Notwithstanding how much I like Cummins diesels, for which I have great esteem, I think overhauling the present engines makes a lot more sense financially. Probably half the cost.

$70k for rebuilding 2 12v71n engines is realistic. Add transmissions and you may hit $100k by the time it's all done right.

Then you still have old Detroit's. If there's a need to do both engines you may find the repower works out better financially on resale.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Generator replaced in 2013 and only has 20 hours. She must sit at the dock a lot. AC's have been upgraded, so I would guess everything else is in good shape.

I'm surprised those engines are that tired with no more hours than that. She looks like a very well maintained boat with some nice upgrades.
    @ 2900 hours those engines just need some good hard runs to get things back seated and cranking again. I'd pull the Air box covers check for stuck rings and throw in a set of new injectors and run them. It's the worst coast so I guess money has no value there but on the east coast it be well under 100k my neighbors had a 58 tc they bought new and sold for $36k a couple years ago boat was mint. The 58tc while a beautiful design has always been a black sheep of the Hatt clan. To me functionality the old double cap in design feels like your going down into a cave entering the living area. The on deck areas and bridge are small and if your entertaining fill up quickly. And then there's the decent to the swim platform kinda feels like your on the Hillary step looking down. (Everest not Clinton)
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

It has almost 4000 hours on the engines. The oil samples looked normal for the gears.

4000 hours is not much for them if cared for.

I've seen 12k plus on some still running.

What exactly is wrong with them?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

2 bad injectors, blower seals leaking, raw water pumps leaking, 1 engine circulating pump leaking, rings are shot, hoses are tired, might need some exhaust work either hose leaking water or manifold, with a side of dirty racors ⚓️

Rings shot just doesn't add up.

Mr. Smith. What say you on worn rings with only 4k hours?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    @ 2900 hours those engines just need some good hard runs to get things back seated and cranking again. I'd pull the Air box covers check for stuck rings and throw in a set of new injectors and run them. It's the worst coast so I guess money has no value there but on the east coast it be well under 100k my neighbors had a 58 tc they bought new and sold for $36k a couple years ago boat was mint. The 58tc while a beautiful design has always been a black sheep of the Hatt clan. To me functionality the old double cap in design feels like your going down into a cave entering the living area. The on deck areas and bridge are small and if your entertaining fill up quickly. And then there's the decent to the swim platform kinda feels like your on the Hillary step looking down. (Everest not Clinton)
    I'm glad I didn't see that mint 58TC for $36K.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93