Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: 58 Tri-cabin information

Just an update we have been negotiating with the seller. The engines came back very tired on the survey and one was only running on 10. Dropped my offer some and they are bit disappointed things are not as good as they thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon40 View Post
    Just an update we have been negotiating with the seller. The engines came back very tired on the survey and one was only running on 10. Dropped my offer some and they are bit disappointed things are not as good as they thought.
    Don't drop the offer "some" until you know exactly what it's going to cost to address the engine issues. In fact, I would insist those issues are addressed before moving forward as you won't know what you're getting into until the job is finished.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Don't drop the offer "some" until you know exactly what it's going to cost to address the engine issues. In fact, I would insist those issues are addressed before moving forward as you won't know what you're getting into until the job is finished.
    Randy (Freeebird) knows from experience having owned a 58 with 12-71's. He did learn that the 58 Tri Cabin ran fairly well on one engine and he became expert on single engine boat handling...lol. Seriously, the cost of a Major overhaul on those engines is pretty high. So high in fact that if you can buy the boat cheap enough, it may be worth considering repowering with a pair of QSM-ll's. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of repowering is close to rebuilding the Detroit's. Anybody have any idea what Q-11's Remans are going for these days?

Walt

Well into 6 figures plus labor. But the savings in size and weight would be huge.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

They would be great engines for that boat. Use half the fuel, go half again as fast, I would bet. PLUS much easier to service. And you would have the only one, more than likely. Prettiest Hatteras with the best powerplants, can't beat that.

My 12V71N's ran great when I sea trailed the boat, but that was unfortunately short lived.

I made my comment based on a similar situation where a friend bought a boat with a pre-existing engine condition. The seller lowered the price enough to theoretically address the issue, but once the engine was gotten into, the concession was nowhere near enough. Guess who came out ahead on that one.

Like you guys all told me, rebuilding is way cheaper than repowering unless you plan to keep this boat forever. You can negotiate the rebuild cost much easier than you can negotiate a repower in this case. I'd come up with a percentage agreement and have the engines rebuilt before closing the deal. The seller may or may not go for that, but it's the only way you can be sure you're not getting into more than you're bargaining for.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

My guy said we could put a couple hundred hours on it before big bill. He said around 70k to rebuild in frame. Very good and reputable mechanic.

We reduced our offer by 45k. We knew she had some hours on her but didn’t think the rings were that shot. Two injectors were not working. The seller thinks we are trying to “steal” the boat based on the brokers tone. I thought we were more than reasonable . We’ll let it marinate for a while. It’s not like we are boatless.

What was the listed sales price?

Just curious.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Here is a link to the current listing in YW. I cannot recall if this is the same price it was listed for earlier.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1971...s#.WmPGYus76rU