Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

58 Tri-cabin information

I've been looking through the brochure archives and have not been able to get any idea of the layout and location of the engine room/rooms of these boats, as well as where the genset is located, etc. I tried a search of the forums but "triple cabin and triple+cabin" was not helpful. Are there any links to more information about these that a simple google search wouldn't turn up, my 2003 copy of Powerboat Guide does not cover it and I'm having trouble finding out more about them.

Thanks, Michael

Re: 58 Tri-cabin information

Engine room in tri cabin is under the lower saloon, not full standing headroom. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Engine room in tri cabin is under the lower saloon, not full standing headroom. John
    Is access through the saloon floor or is there a crawl way? Is the genset in the usual place under the kitchen?

Yes, yes and no.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks. The nearest one for sale for us to look at is up in the Seattle area and we are in Los Angeles. What's under the kitchen floor on these? My wife likes the idea of the lower saloon, I like the idea of a dedicated area to drive the boat on the main deck and we both like the versatility of the aft deck. But she's concerned about getting off the boat and onto the dock when line handling w/o a cockpit and I am wondering how the engine room works out in practice with low headroom. Is there space down there for things like water makers, inverter banks, upgraded a/c etc. as well as routine maintenance?

What about the 58 Yachtfisherman? If you like the galley down, walk in engine rooms and are worried about aft deck access for docking - they solve all of those problems. I am partial tho !

We like the three cabins......... Plus the triple cabin is IMHO the prettiest Hatteras ever built. If we didn't have a dog (and weren't in our 60's) it would be an easy choice: we could work around the lack of easy access to the waterlevel or the dock.
    The MY versions of all age Hatteras seem to be more common and to be a bit cheaper than those with cockpits. Based upon the recent threads about some members adventures boat shopping we are trying to "think outside of the box" and want to avoid Cockpit Fixation to the point of overlooking a perfect MY. I have seen pictures of what look like workable stainless tube staircases on swim platforms, with two narrow 4 step stairs up to a central landing step below a center door into the aft deck. If this is practicable, it would greatly increase the number of candidates to consider....

I get the irony of wanting to hang a big piece of crap on the back of what I just said was the prettiest Hatteras ever, but if it allows another old beauty to cruise on for another few decades, maybe it's OK?

I understand. Are you planning on looking at "Seahawk" (I think) in Seattle? We did a year ago, very well kept by a knowledgeable owner. Under cover too. Good hunting!

Also that boat in Seattle has been on the market for a long time, like over a year, depending on the owners situation you might be able to get a good deal. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

We are currently moving house, so it will be a month or more before we start looking at individual boats. Seahawk was one of the "possibles" up there, but there are several others on the way up to view if we can. The problem with a western boat is that we really want to cruise on the eastern seaboard and I am assuming that yacht transport is not cheap.....