Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: replacing the floor

We put in lonseal in the heads and did as Mike sugested payed 1/4 ply over Lino. Used a good sanded ply and the lonseal looks completely smooth. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

IDK, I haven't used the plastic flooring, but this stuff is easy to use and hides subfloor imperfections.
    Attached Images

My thinking now, before we really get into the meat of this, which begins Monday, is to peel the lino off the hatches, and replace the 3/4" plywood which makes up the hatch tops. New flat plywood would be a good substrate for the Lonseal, and we could tailor the fit so the hatches fit snugly. We'll see. Thanks to all for help/advice. Photos will follow, as soon as there's anything worth showing.

Today we got all the carpet out of the boat (and into my truck, where after getting rained on, it's going to the dump) and all the hatches out of the boat. There are six hatches, and the plywood tops are deteriorated enough that it will be easier to just replace them rather than try to strip the flooring off them. They will get new plywood on top, and then fitted into the boat, after which the Lonseal goes on them. Moving along.

We need the before during and after pics.

I don't have before photos, but I snapped some today with all the hatches out, so you can see that my engine room is not nearly as clean as MikeP's- but very few are. The hatches are off getting stripped and will get new plywood tops, then we start fitting it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Today we got all the carpet out of the boat (and into my truck, where after getting rained on, it's going to the dump) and all the hatches out of the boat. There are six hatches, and the plywood tops are deteriorated enough that it will be easier to just replace them rather than try to strip the flooring off them. They will get new plywood on top, and then fitted into the boat, after which the Lonseal goes on them. Moving along.
    Check the ply-wood mine was 7/8" found out after I bought the 3/4" I had to buy a pice of 1/8" and glue and screw together. Could not find 7/8" anywhere
    If it ain't broke don't break it by fixing it!

We did measure the old plywood and it is 3/4. Thanks, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Today we got all the carpet out of the boat (and into my truck, where after getting rained on, it's going to the dump)
    You could probably get the carpet dry enough by putting it out in the sun for the afternoon and then throw it up in the for sale section here.

If it's me I would seal the edges and bottom on the new hatches with epoxy and also paint them before covering the tops so they're nice and pretty and also remain stable. Might even seal the tops too depending on how the new stuff gets put down.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E