Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diesel Fuel Additive

We've been getting our fuel from a local ValvTeck dealer, but after seeing their additive was less than impressive in the Spicer Test, I'm interested in supplementing for lubricity. I'm not interested in loosening up 38 years worth of crud laying harmlessly on the bottom of our tanks, if that's what could happen. Am I on the right course here? Would the additive linked be a good one? Thanks for any input, Regards Craig. ... https://www.amazon.com/Opti-Lube-Sum...ustomerReviews

Re: Diesel Fuel Additive

I have used in my boat, customers boats, my trucks, friends cars and trucks with no problems. I get an out 2 mpg increase with my 6.7 dodge diesel pickup.

It's great stuff and I have spoken about it on the site many times before.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

1 gallon treats 2500 gallons? I may give it a shot.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

The summer plus has no anti gel or other cold weather additives.

It's lube and cetane boost.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hatt Craig View Post
    We've been getting our fuel from a local ValvTeck dealer, but after seeing their additive was less than impressive in the Spicer Test, I'm interested in supplementing for lubricity. I'm not interested in loosening up 38 years worth of crud laying harmlessly on the bottom of our tanks, if that's what could happen. Am I on the right course here? Would the additive linked be a good one? Thanks for any input, Regards Craig. ... https://www.amazon.com/Opti-Lube-Sum...ustomerReviews
    Craig if you decide to order it will you get me one or we can split the gallon. I don't think either of us will use 2500 gallons this year.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Hope this is good stuff, just ordered 2 bottles. Need all the help I can get pushing 105,000 lbs around the ocean.

Have a easy rest of the week,
    Tim

If memory serves it's about $60 per gallon. That's with the pump to measure out 1 oz at a time.

I buy 5 gal buckets and go through 1 a year between the boat and truck.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I have used Schaeffers 2000 for years with no complaints. Something like $40/gal and treats 2,000. Stinks to hi heaven and hard to clean off if you let a spill set.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I've run barrel after barrel of Power Service Diesel Kleen in construction equipment for years. Its the best bang for the buck. We have had almost no fuel system issues. I run it in my boat and my Ford Powerstroke.

I buy it in bulk, but its available everywhere for around $15/gal in the Grey Bottle. Throw away your money on more expensive stuff if you choose, but I see no need to spend any more for lubricity and cetane boost.

EDIT: Okay I looked at that stuff again. The cost is not any more (actually less) since it treats so many gallons. It may, however, be a hassle to measure it out. With the DK, you just open the bottle and pour it in.

CARRY ON
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 07-05-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You get the pump and it's one ounce per pump.

I also have some smaller bottles so I keep 3 oz in them in my truck.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.